Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 4 year old volo S60, bot in Feb 2001. Is a careful owner, which send my car for maintenance service to volvo faithfully whenever maintenance is due. Most of the time, only drive to & fro from home to work. (That is about 2 hour of driving time on the average per day). My mileage to date is 75,000.

On mid Jan 2005, got a massage from the car that performance greatly reduce sign on. volvo workshop said it's major engine problem. The following item was changed : (1) Throttle Body (ETM) Intake manifold replace. (2)Throttle Housing S80 (3)Gasket inlet-manifed (4) Sealing ring (5) Cable Tie (6)Crankcase Ventilation Hose (7) Expension Tank Replace. Which total bill cost S$1,459 (Singapore Dollars)

And now on 6 April the car give another massage - engine problem. And Volvo workshop saids it's another major engine problem and this time it will cost about S$2,000+ .

I'm really very disappointed with the car. Well they said it's wear & tear. But look at my usage & mileage do u all agree it's wear & tear ? Another major problem from this car, I'm going to replace it with any car but volvo!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
What is the second major problem there is.

Why did they tell you they replaced all those parts the first time.Most of the time one thing goes wrong or the other.I think they might have taken advantage of you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know being a lady, don't know much about technical parts of the car. Send to the SM Motors the authorize distributor of Volvo Cars in Singapore.

Their reason is either this part need to be change to rectify the problem or need to be changed due to wear & tear. The are the company representing volvo cars in Singapore. You have to know how each part function, to ascertain whether it need to be changed which I have limited knowledge.

Ok my car is still in the workshop will know the outcome today. The problem this time round. (1) Strong smell of petrol when parking. (1)Service light on when petrol lower 25% left. When it is full tank light goes off. (2) Service massage :Engine System service require (3) Car does not start smoothly as before.

Pls advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
For the new problem you have. This sounds like a common Volvo problem that is easy to cause and just as easy to fix. You may have not had the fuel tank cap on tight enough. It is very common for a Volvo to display "Engine service required" if the cap is not tightened. This may also explain the smell of fuel when you are in park.

Ask in the S60 forum if you can reset the service engine light yourself. Fill your fuel tank up and make sure the cap is on tight. I am told you need to drive the car about a full tank to get this fixed so that it does not come on again

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
They are also starting to have a problem with the fuel pump assembly.Where the fule line goes to the pump assy. they are cracking and leaking fuel.And once you shut it off the pressure empty's.Then whe you go to start it up it takes a while for the fuel to get to the engine.

Let us know what they tell you.We will try to help you through this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the workshop with the intention of collecting my car today.

This is my breakdown of the bill, don't understand what's the problem with the car. But maybe u guys with some technical background can explain to me what the replace items means. As usaual the explanation was wear & tear . As if i'm operating my car as a taxi, so much wear & tear! The rate they r going, I'm going to have half the internal parts all new & of cause at my expense.

item
1. Fuel Pump unit S80/6 S$636
2. T/Belt Tensioner 4+5 S$135
3. Bulb, Sun Visor S$5.6
4. Bulb, Sun Visor S$5.60
5. 75,000 maintenance Service S$ 760
Include checklist
Air-con Cabin Filter Replace
Automatic Gearbox oil change
Include Reset oil counter
Ouality check & control
6.Switch brake light replace S$24
7.Engine mounts right front S$84
8. fuel pump replace (injection) S$192
9.Timing tensioner replace S$180
10. Fuel system drain S$48
"L" Helix ultra 5W40
gasket, O/Sump X40
Oil Filter P2X/S40/9
Cabin filter AC S80ATF oil 4L (5-SPD)
11. Brake light switch S S$38.60
12.o-Ring, F/Pump S60/8 S$2.30
13.Engine Pad R S80/5CY S$109.20

Labour $528
Parts $936.20
Package $760

The Grand total of S$2,335.41!

Some of the above cost is for maintenace Service and the rest is for repair works and replacement of parts.

And u know what the best part! The car is in the workshop for 2 days. The drove the car out of workshop for me. I took over the wheel and the car cannot start anymore and it's back to the workshop again.

I was loan a car to drive home & have to wait for their call for collection the car again.

Is it time to shop for a new car?

What do u think?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did they call you and tell you what was wrong before they made the repairs?
If the fuel pump wasn't set properly that would cause the car to not start.

Do you have extended warranty?

I see you have some things listed twice.Is one of them the parts and the other the labor?

Were you complaining of an engine vibration?

Did they tell you why the tensioner had to be replaced?

Was the brake light switch for the check engine light?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did they call you and tell you what was wrong before they made the repairs?
Ans : Yah, they explained - wear & tear.

I just called them & they asked me to collect the car, out of goodwill they changed my wiper FOC. BIG DEAL!

If the fuel pump wasn't set properly that would cause the car to not start.
Ans: Then they may have changed that part & not put it properly.

Do you have extended warranty?
Ans: No, thats why I'm needed to pay so much.

I see you have some things listed twice.Is one of them the parts and the other the labor?
Ans : You mean the bulb?

Were you complaining of an engine vibration?
Ans: No

Did they tell you why the tensioner had to be replaced?
Ans: This is one of the parts that they check for wear & tear and replace it at routine maintenance?

Was the brake light switch for the check engine light?
Ans: Isn't brake light switch for brake light?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
6 and 11 are pretty much the same.
1 and 8 are pretty much the same.
2 and 9 are pretty much the same.
7 and 13 are pretty much the same.

The brake light switch depending on which one they replaced One would cause a check engine light.They call it the brake pedal sensor.
Im just trying to figure out why you needed it.Was ther brake lights out or something?

If the fuel pump assy. was not set properly thats why it might not of started while you were there.

Did they replace the timing belt tensioner or the serpentine belt tensioner?

Sorry so many quietstions Im just trying to understand the repairs and why they did them.
I have been working on these cars for 4 years now and some of the things look fishy.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. I don't want to be pedantic-but I added together the items you listed on the invoice:

Labour $528
Parts $936.20
Package $760

The Grand total of S$2,335.41!

I added those three items together and arrived at the princely total:

S$2,224.20

If the Volvo agent added the invoice together I think you might be entitled to a refund too.

By way of footnote:

My car was serviced by the same Volvo agent in Singapore. The original owner kept the car in pristine condition just as you seem to have done.

The invoices which came with my car show a fairly thorough standard of service.

None of it was cheap-even by New Zealand or Singaporean standards. But,

I would not give up hope on the car or the dealership. I have every confidence that the problems are temporary. While the problems are annoying for you, those same problems are annoying for the dealership too. No mechanic likes their work to be found to be below the standard which a customer could expect from a franchise dealership.

My experience with my Singapore sourced Volvo, reveals a certain pride by the Volvo agent mechanics, bilaterally in Singapore and here in New Zealand.

While I face wear and tear work-a lot of the work is preventative also. The parts are replaced before they give me grief.

You know much or most of this already-but hang in there. You could do a lot worse!! Believe me-you own an outstanding motor vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Labour $528 (The amount here is before 5% GST)

Parts $936.20 (The amount here is before 5% GST)

Package $760 (The amount here is before 5% GST)

The Grand total of S$2,335.41 (The amount here is inclusive of 5% GST)

So no refund for me

The car is working fine now after much $$$$$. Keeping my fingers cross.

For the first 3 years, only need to service the car once a year. This year is the
4th year , it's already 2nd time. And i noticed the bill increase by double each time i sent for servicing. Is this the pattern of future servicing bill?

Sorry TECH having some problem answering your questions, but your comments noted. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The mounts and stuff like that are normal with a car with some age on it.They will last you a while now.
Everything you had relpaced will last you for a while.
As for the rest you should be fine for a while.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
QUOTE(disappointed volvo owner @ Apr 8 2005, 06:13 AM)I own a 4 year old volo S60, bot in Feb 2001. Is a careful owner, which send my car for maintenance service to volvo faithfully whenever maintenance is due. Most of the time, only drive to & fro from home to work. (That is about 2 hour of driving time on the average per day). My mileage to date is 75,000.

well I used to live in Singapore [but drove Honda]

it only takes 30 minutes from one side to the other so how can you have such long time commuting??

best to buy a 264 - mine has done 700,000 km and goes between services with zero problems [and does not need even oil top up between services]

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
5% GST. I am paying 12.5% GST. You are very lucky to be paying so little GST. Worse still, our Government struggles to pay our bills on that amount too!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Disappointed Volvo Owner,

If I were you, I'd spend a little more time with the mechanic and get him/her to explain to me exactly WHAT parts needed to be repaired/serviced and WHY they needed it. Do it face-to-face and not over the phone. That's why most of them time, I will take half the day off.

Afterall, the mechanics owe me AT LEAST the explanation. Mind you, I mostly go to indies, and not dealerships. CanT just simply foot the bill, I'm not rich.
I agree with Tech, the list looks fishy.

This way, will even understand of the car more, and increase my own knowledge on the car.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi The Doctor!

Sorry for the late reply. Yes the travelling time from the East (Pasir Ris) to town is about 30mins. However during the perk hours (weekdays -morning & evening) It takes double the time because of traffic jams on the Expressway.

Hi Auckland !
We started off with 3% GST few years back, but for the last 2 years it has been increase by 1 % each year. And we are told that we are still the lowest among the world. So by the rate it is going, we would be close to paying what u are paying in the years to come unless your government thinks like ours and continues to increase the GST. In our case it's the people who are struggling to pay!

Hi Ampangbear!
And the stories continues.................. One month after the last servicing my car is back at the workshop, same kind of massage engin require service. The cost of repairing would have cost another S$1000 over dallors, out of goodwill they repaired it FOC . Its another part which is faulty this time round. Did went down to speak to the workshop manager this time. However after a while it sound like he is speaking a foreign language because it too technicial for me to understand. Anyway when the item is spolit, the bottom line is i still have to get it fixed right? I can't said that no i don't think u need to change this part. (unless its the case of changing parts that are not spolit) Being the distributor , althought they may not be the cheapest repair workshop in Singapore but compare to the small workshops they do have a reputation to keep, so i don't think they will replace parts that are in good working condition right?

Anyway I have decided to get a new car, but have lost a lot of confident in volvo cars . They are asking me to get a new S60 .

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Disappointed Volvo Owner,

You're probably right. And it may seem that they have to keep their reputation for giving good, quality products. But no where did they say or mention that the price should be reasonable...

Go across the Causeway and will a similar case. Probably a little cheaper due to the currency values to you, but still an issue to us here.

Is the warranty still valid? If it is, then I suggest you continue to go to the dealerships. And hey, if they are offering you a new S60, then all the better. You have probably got the lemon version of the car, full with bugs. And if they are going to offer you a new S60 (which is of a different year of make) then I would say, go for it.

Most independent workshops also offer good quality goods and much reasonable prices. That's why we share amongst ourselves in the country, good indies who don't slash your neck while billing you.
You could do the same.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
By the way, join the Volvo Owners Group - Singapore (http://volvosg.com/) and try complaining to them. They may be able to help you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts