Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering buying a 2005 S40. I would like to connect an MP3 player (iPod) to the factory installed soundsystem.

What is the best way of doing this? I would like to avoid using FM transmission solutions. Direct connects through MD/CD option? What physical connector does it have?

Does it make a difference which sound system package I chose? Or do they all have the same basic physical connectors for an external CD/MD/MP3 player?

The S40 brochure talks about "modular design that allows for introducing new features in the future" or something along those lines. Does anyone know of any developments from Volvo on such new features? (e.g. control your iPod through the steering wheel + display). Does anyone know of good aftermarket solutions?

Stian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well not sure on new info, but I have a Mp3 player and I connect it to my S40 sound system by means of a Cassette with headphone lead attached. These are available from most electrical stores who sell Ipods, Mp3 players etc.
The main thing to look at is not to have the volume on the Mp3 player too high, By keeping it under half way you will get a good sound transfer and volume control is achieved by the cars stereo. If you set the Mp3 players sound too high you will get a very 'Basey' sound with very poor sound.

Hope this helps.

Bash

·
Registered
2 Posts
to hook mine up i bought a sony faceplate, and in the back of it it has 2 red white plugs, and i got the installers to thread a cable out from under it into the headphone thing on the ipod..trust me it sounds way better than fm or a tape adapter

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Risky business,

Interested in your sony faceplate modification. Can you perhaps provide more info on how you did that? Desperate to play Mp3s through my system!

Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
At this time there is no OEM method of hooking up an Ipod directly (via hardwire) to the 2004.5 and newer S40. The only OEM method is FM transmitter. I hope this changes soon.

Cheers
J

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard from a salesman at Al & Ed's that Volvo has plans to provide an auxilary input for existing S40 models in the next couple of months. Has anybody heard similar rumors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't understand why the ipod adapter is not available for the S40. It is available for the S60 and so on. Might as well have an 8-track, cassette, or record player as far as I'm concerned. Who has CD's anymore? I want to buy an S40 but am perplexed regarding this lack of ipod or mp3 capabilities. Somebody make some sense of this nonsense for me. Thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts
The reason it is not available for the S40 (2004.5 and newer) is that you are dealing with a "Fiber" system on the new S40 verses an "Analog" setup on the other Volvo models. The new stereo is awsome and has an amazing sound, but it is one of a very few using this technology as of right now.

If everyone keeps sending Volvo Emails and letters...they will make the OEM connector. There are a couple of aftermarket places working on an interface but nothing is out yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It has been very disappointing to see how Volvo/Ford has shown a lack of understanding simple customer needs and wants in its design process when it comes to electronics. For the past two decades car owners have been installing after-market solutions to direct audio connection needs while auto manufacturers like Ford have failed to notice the trend. To go to the expense and time necessary to redesign and develop a "state-of-the-art" car sound system based on fibreoptic technology and not implement a direct connection solution just blows my mind! The strangest part of this whole thing is that the technical designers don't even seem to be on the same visionary level as the typical car salesperson and dealership technicians and owners who seem to think that the 2G S40 CAN support something as simple as direct connection --- or --- satellite radio! That's what they're "selling". BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
261 Posts
@gunnarhunsbedt

The "sony faceplate" idea does not work on the new S40. The person that posted that is driving a 2004 S40 (not a 2G model)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just checked volvo's website:

Under the accessories for the s40 and under "In car entertainment" they now have a
"Volvo iPOD FM Transmitter. from the picture (see link pasted here) it looks like it plugs into something under the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. It looks rather ugly
and is listed at $139. Check it out:

http://www.volvocars.us/NR/rdonlyres/8478A...pod_FMtrans.jpg
I also attached the picture. [attachmentid=1572]

I'm a little upset with this. I am looking for a different more generic solution. I have satillite radio and not an iPOD and i was hoping for a way to have an AUX input to the radio, not just a solution for iPOD. THis fiber optic crap is such a pain in the ****. There is absolutly no reason to use fiber optics in a car audio system - it doesnt buy you anything!! all i want is to drive to work with out any static on my satilite radio! dont get me wrong, i love to drive my s40 and i couldnt be happier, this radio thing is keeping it from being perfect.

OK that's enough bitching from me...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts