Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many folks at work rave about their older Volvo's and so I am on the hunt for one for our family. However, I want to identify the most reliable volvo models and model years.

One guy at work insists that the 240 model is the best, others say the 850. I understand like any other car, their are quirks with certain models and model years and I would like to avoid the riskier models if possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 240 has my vote for most reliable. I bought one new in 1979 and 375K later in 1993 I traded it for a 740, almost as good but my 240 is probably still rolling somewhere. Got a new S90 in 1998. What a disappointment! I'd take any Volvo series from 940 back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In my experience, the later 240 87-90's and the 740's are the tops. Not alot of differences mechanically, but the 740's suspension (even though more complicated) rides and handles better. 240 interior has better materials, but a good 740 interior that is kept up will last also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I vote for the old Amazon-models but my old terrain-cars from the 60-ies has so far worked more than exelently. (Note comfort in the cars is not included in my opinion)
e

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I heard just recetly from a mechanic here from the Volvo authorised dealership that the 900 series got somesort of a 'black area' that they know nothing of.

However, the 850 has none. Is this true?
Any ideas?

Thinking of 'suggesting' to my dad a 960, soon.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 960's were great car overall.They had some minor bugs but were great cars.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
You think so too? Great.

My dad's been using his Nissan Bluebird 1.8L for close to 20 years now. Sure the electronics part has its limits on age, but surprisingly, the engine part still takes just ONE crank every morning. Never fails.
(To be fair, he really takes care of the engine...

His Honda is tailing close there as well. Also just ONE crank to start. Never more. Another

If he hadn't sold his daily-toy Toyota Starlet away to a relative last year, he could boast more.

Right now, I am NO WHERE NEAR there. He loves the 850 look, but until and unless I do some more work on the car, I don't think he'll let me park in the porch.
Have to park OUTSIDE beside the road, everytime I come visit.

HAHAHAH !

Now, let's see if I entice him with some 'delicious'-looking 960s. Found one already with just the right kind of color. Everything stock. Not-so-cheap lah, but okay. Rides great.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The reliability of today's cars is at the mercy of the electronics components. Older cars were more reliable because they had much fewer electronics. Today they are more sofisticated, better equiped with all kind of gadgets that will let go one day or another. Engineers design those electronic components to make them last a certain time, (normally the design time, for a car it's around 5000 hours, for a snomobile it's 300 hours etc) after that, make some prayers. Older auto trannies had fully mechanical controls, today there's only solenoid valves controlled by computer, if the computer fails and closes 2 clutch pack at the same time, it blows the whole thing up, this was impossible before. This was the problem of the dodge caravans with 4 speed auto. Older cars had their problems too, but today most of the problems are caused by electronic components failures, and cheaper desing to reduce production costs. One good trick to know which car is reliable is to have a talk with cab drivers. It's true they drive FWD impala's but they have to replace the tranny at every 150-170k km while olders RWD chevy caprice could easily last aroud 5-600k km without any major problems. Today one of the few to be as reliable is the camry. The only RWD left is the Ford Crown Victoria. I had a few bad experiences with a new 84 244 GL(guess we were not lucky and got a lemon), my dad got rid of its 86 740 GLE last year, no major problems, 300k km no rust (18 years in canada with no rust is a record) catch ya later folks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well we all know that the 83-84 240 series sucked!!!!!
But any 85-92 240 is great for reliability!!!
Also late model 760's/740's and 960's/940's are amazing for reliability as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 240's suffered some rust issues for sure, however the B230f enigine in them is a rock as well the trani. The 740 non turbo has the same engine a little better body and a bit more room. If corrosion is not a concern for you, the 240 would be the one, If you go with the 740 you may want to stay away from the 16valve(B234F) engine and the v6(B280) major headaches if anything mechanical happens. The B230FT(turbo) is solid but you will have oil leaks.
Good luck

As far as safety, hey its a Volvo

·
Registered
116 Posts
The only V6's that were problematic were the early ones.
The B280 from 87-90 was actually the most reliable and easy to work on car that Volvo ever made. Plenty of room to move those wrenches. There are many testimonys from reliable sources out there that prove this to be true.
They last the longest and run the smoothest and the body's stay in immaculate shape throughout the years....not to mention the interior. I did a lot of research into this when I purchased my V6 Volvo....and the only thing bad I can say about it is it uses more gas than the 4 cylinder.
While it is true that the older V6's were notoriously problematic the later models are superb!
Check out this link for some backup in my story....

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BuyingUsed...gaUsed760withV6

So dont poo poo the V6's people! Do your research and buy a car that has already proven itself time and again. There are many Volvos that have done so.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I have seen the engine compartments of 240s, 740s, and 940s, and I own an 855.

I have to say that as far as the engine room is concerned,
the 855 is the most cramped.
... I love the engine parts of the 240s - you can hide a bag of something-something in there (not giving anyone ideas here) in there and not see if disturbing the engine at all. You could see the floor rather easily.

At high noon, with the hood popped at 90degrees, in my 855 engine bay, you could see just bits of lights penetrating directly to the floor. No kidding. And well, I am not much of an engine modder (while at this)...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts