Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have had my baby for 8 years, last year new head gaskets, running 350k, have had only small troubles all home meched, 1985 740 turbo
was having a hestitation problem, like fuel starved, lose power, temporarily, then it would go away, a few months ago, i replace electric fuel pump, and filter after a no run...
was doing 120k slowed for a corner, and once around the corner, car stalled and will not fire up, turns over but will not fire up.
Checked fuel at manifold to injectors, but not injectors, what's the chance of 4 injectors failing on a corner,
checked coil, ok
checked spark, plenty,
checked spark leads, all ok
checked distributor cap and voila, somehow the screws had come out of the distributor and likely that was my hesitation problem... even though there were no screws holding the distributor in place, coincidently its best setting is cranked cw and was sitting operating for some time without screws holding in position, but was likely the cause of hesitations on hard cornering.
so, turned the crankshaft pulley, to tdc, confirmed it with #1 all up, and put the distributor back in, with the rotor pointing to #1 post on the distributor...
nothing..
when turning the crankshaft pulley with small socket wrench, felt way too easy, but could feel an increase in pressure as approaching tdc,
What would cause instant loss of compression
There was some scarring on the end of the distributor shaft, and there was the possibilty that the distributor had disengaged from the cam shaft... no bangs, no misfires, it just quit..
the car is on a back road and chuckle, i cant afford to get Team Volvo on this...
help!!!
i'm hoping someone will recognize this problem, like , oh yeah, i remember, try this
thanks for what ever response
michael george

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

When the engine cut out on the fast bend, were you low on fuel?

I know that you have replaced the fuel pump & filter but is it possible that the fuel "slooshed" away from the end of the fuel pump pick-up? Or perhaps after so many miles & 21 years there is a lot of sediment in the fuel tank that could have shifted towards the fuel pump pick-up on the bend?

Could a bad valve seal be causing loss of compression? If say an exhaust valve was fouled or a valve spring was weak, it may not always seat properly when closed.

Might be worth cleaning out the tank & putting some cleaning additive in with the fuel when refilling, to clean the fuel system, injectors & combustion chamber.

Best of luck tracking it down

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if this will help But a few months ago I replaced a fuel injector on my 740t and it run great for about a week or two when all of a sudden it just died on me for no reason well after alot of swearing I also was lead to what I thought was a problem with the dis. and replaced it still no go well to make a long story short When I replaced the injectors I didn't tighten the fuel rail down tight enough and the ground to the injectors was on that bolt which caused my no fire problem so. sometimes it can be so simple

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem with my '85 740 Turbo...replaced the fuel pump and fuel filiter and still didn't solve it....turned out to be the fuel pump relay (located behind the fuse panel)...picked one up on eBay and it runs like a champ now...good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts