Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am driving a 1999 2.0T Volvo. The tyres are directional tyres from Japan. I think they are too noisy and I want to change to Michelin tyres. However, I am not sure whether to go to the 215/55/16 which are currently on the car or the 225/55/16.

The local Michelin dealer says I should try the Michelin MXV 8 tyre but I cannot find any reviews about this particular tyre.

Has anybody got any experiences with these tyres that they would like to share with me before I front up with NZ$1700.00 for a set of four new tyres? Any information/help would be appreciated. Cheers from Auckland.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

The MXV 8s are more comfortable and much quieter than my previous Dunlop SP 9000s. BTW, I drive a 2004 Nissan Sunny (Pulsar). They're (MXV 8s) marginally more expensive but cetainly worth the difference in price. As long as race track adhesion and braking is not a top priority, the MXV best meets the comfort, performance and economy concerns of the average driver.

My wife and I are members in this forum because she drives a 1966 B22 which run on a set of Dunlops (185/70 R 14)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there. Thanks for your input about the Michelin tyres. I currently have the Bridgestone tyres from Japan.

Those are the ones I would like to replace with the Michelins.

As for the race track braking and adhesion, I don't actually drive the car to the limit of my abilities or the allowable abilities of the car. Having said that, I would not like a tyre that had a questionable history in those aspects.

If you had your time again, would you definitely buy another set of Michelins?

Thanks for your time and help.

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Go with the tire size that belongs with the car.If you are not sure what size it is supposed to be look inside your gas door and it will tell you.

You won't need V-Rated tires either the H-Rated tire will be plenty for you.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tech. That tip could save me a lot of money. The Michelin agent's were all quoting me NZ$425.00 to NZ$533.00 per tyre for the V and Low Profile rated tyres. Some were worse.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Your welcome You don't need the V-rated tires unless you are planning on driving 170 MPH all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well Auckland, what kind of tires did you put on? I have changed my old Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/55 R16 tires for a new set of them. All my tire dealers recomended to put them on sedan (limousine) car such as S60. Little bit expensive, bug ride comfort, traction and noise is pretty good... And I got H tires, saved $, couse I'm not driving more than 100-130mph, unless it's necessary

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't changed the tyres yet!!
I have too much tread left on the tyres to warrant changing them. However, having said that-I still ask around-another expert told me to try Michellin's second tire tyres Goodyear. Apparentely, Michellin own Goodyear. He reckoned that Goodyear's are just as good as Michellin and for New Zealand roads-a better choice. As such, I still don't know which way I shall go for tyres. I still like the idea of Michellin though. It seems that Goodyear make a tyre in the size that I want: 225/55/16. But, the Michellin's in the same size are low profile V rated tyres and cost about $200.00 each more than the Goodyears. I have many things to think about for $800.00

I will let you know what I decide to do.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(Auckland @ Sep 12 2005, 08:53 PM)Michellin's second tire tyres Goodyear. Apparentely, Michellin own Goodyear.
[snapback]15197[/snapback]​

I dont think that is correct. Goodyear owns Dunlop, Kelly, and Fulda. Michelin is a seperate company, as far as I know.

If Im right, I would go to another guy for advise

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will throw another alternative out there. A few months ago I got a shot at a steal deal on a set of 235/55/17 Pirelli P Zero Neros ( try $300 USD for the full set of 4!!) that were pulled off a new Mustang with only around a thousand miles on them for my Chrysler 300. I was shocked at how quiet they ran + the ride quality and handling of these and am absolutely sold on um!! I also checked with my local ford Dealer and because they are OEM tires for the Mustang I can buy the next set DIRT cheap. Forget the Michelin's these are all that I plan to run on this one from now on!
Rode and handled light years better than both the Hydroedge and MX series in the Michelins I have had on these cars. Love um and will buy a set for my V90 when I upgrade the wheels and tires later this year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts