Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving today, no problem. I switched my car off for 2 minutes, when I started it back up, it was running horribly. I took it to my guy and he looked at it for an hour (free of charge).
He said it is the Mass Airflow Meter. A little research into the part and....holy sh*t it is expensive!
Dealer has it for $1000 CDN and online parts suppliers have it for $400 U.S. Should I get a used one? They are hard to come by for the B280 but I don't want to find a used one and have it die on me also. Anyone out there have one for me for $100-$200 bucks???

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It will probably be very hard to find a used one.
You might want to go for a rebuilt one. Considering later you might buy the other 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK, a new update:I decided to get a brand new AMM. The only used ones in town were $250 CDN. There was also one on ebay for $50 US but it was being sold as is with no guarantee that it would work. As far as used ones go, who knows how long it would work for? My mechanic sold me the new one without markup for $440 CDN. A little pricey but worth it for the piece of mind. Considering how much they are from the dealer here ($915 CDN), it was well worth it.
I do however have one more question for you Tech.
Should I also buy a used one for emergencies? I do travel on the highway a lot and I would hate to get stranded. If it did happen, could I just remove the AMM temporarily. Would the car run well enough without it for an hour or would it be better to put the used one on temporarily? Also, what causes an AMM to go bad? I have read in other forums that it could be caused by a faulty Air Cleaner Temperature Sensor. If that is the case, should I replace that too?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It would be nice if you can find a used one for cheap to keep as a spare.

Yes the temp sensor going bad will cause the mass flow to go bad.

Either you can replace it or just make it so it is open all the time.

It is the little valve in the air box.The metal pipe that goes from the exhaust to the air box.This way you can find it.

We just open it up and screw it open.

It only works for about 5 minutes after you start your can anyways.
It is to only route warm air into the air box to help the car warm up faster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts