Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now seriously looking at 850 estates to purchase (lease car goes back in a few weeks!). However as someone who has always mis trusted auto box's on older cars i am surprised to find that second hand older autos are fetching slightly more than second hand manuals. This was certainly never the case some years ago around these parts at least.

So is it that times have changed and automatic box's can be expected to be as reliable as manual ones on ten year old cars, or is it a Volvo thing with the quality of this make?

About two thirds of the cars i am considering are automatic (there seem to be more about than manuals!) but can i expect a world of hurt if i buy one at this age??

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I know this thread is rather old, but just sharing some of my findings.

An 855T5 owner friend once said to be careful with those which have clocked more than 300kms. He has his gearbox just recently changed.

Does anyone else want to share their findings?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
All I can say is I love the manuals And that is all I would buy!!!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
But why EXACTLY, Tech...?

I am used to both manuals and automatic gearboxes, and personally, I don't have a preference, as they both have their pros and cons.

Mind sharing, dude?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I just love shifting it when I want to.I can control the power how I want.
They are better to drive in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Aaahh... The DRIVER's preference. I know the feeling.

Anyone tries to smoke you, and put in that just lower gear, and you overtake with the universal finger on your bumper. HAHAHAH...

Whereas auto cars risk alot trying to do this.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts