Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh my god.

Just put the heat on for the first time this year and had to pull over to get out and gasp for air. I kid you not. I'm lucky in that I only have 4 kilometers to work.

I put the A/C back on and let the car run for about 2 minutes with the fan on high. The smell passed.

When I got home turned off the A/C and turned up the dual temp controls and yeoweeeeeee!

What could this be? Doesn't the air for a/c and heat use the same vents???

Thanks in advance for any tips. I won't be using the car this weekend so I'll leave it at the dealership so they can check it out first thing Monday morning. Hope it's warrenty.

brianf

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Oct 14 2005, 07:49 PM)normally smell at start of summer when ac turned on

make sure you are not still on recirc, open the windows and let her rip on high speed fan for 30 mins or so

are you a smoker?
[snapback]16687[/snapback]​

No, it did not smell at the start of summer when the a/c was first turned on. I would have remembered. I'm not on recirculate. I'll do as you suggest and let it go on high heat for 1/2 hour. I don't smoke.

brianf

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
we had a big discussion here some time back re about 10 years ago Volvo went from heat cool coils in series to a bypass system

so it is correct that when you turn on heat air is passing though the coil and small bits of duct for first time in 6 months or whatever so you need to blast off all nasties that sat there at 180 deg F [just hope a small animal did not climb in there and die]

for smokers it is worse but once again that is usually only on cooling coil

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Oct 14 2005, 10:35 PM) [just hope a small animal did not climb in there and die]

[snapback]16693[/snapback]​

That is what I'm afraid of!!!!

brianf

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Oct 15 2005, 10:08 AM)Was it a sweet funky smell?

Could it be ANTIFREEZE?
[snapback]16706[/snapback]​

No Tech, not sweet at all.

I went out an purchased a can of Wynn's Fresh Air and sprayed it into the air intakes with the heater on full as the instructions said. I then let it run with the heat on full and the doors open for almost 20 minutes. My guess is I have wrecked the cabin air filter doing this but the smell may be gone. I'll see tomorrow morning and if the smell is still there of to the dealership. I'll post tomorrow morning.

Thanks
guys!!!!!

brianf

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should replace the pollen filter now.
When did you change it last?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Oct 15 2005, 05:06 PM)You should replace the pollen filter now.
When did you change it last?
[snapback]16752[/snapback]​

Never!!!! The car is about 18 months old. Is it due?

Thanks Tech.

brianf

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Oct 15 2005, 11:01 PM)It is suggested to be replaced every 15,000 miles.
[snapback]16765[/snapback]​

I've got about 20,000 klms on the car so it is due. I'll get it replaced. Thanks

brianf

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Heat & dampness in the system can cause bacteria build-up, not good for your health. Smell is strong & musty/mouldy, like a damp basement.

Proprietary anti-bacterial treatments such as Valeo Clim Pur will clean & purify the aircon/climate control system, just follow the instructions & you'll soon have sweet-smelling air free of nasties pouring out of the vents! Cost in UK is circa £8.95 including tax.

Hope this cures it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Black Beauty T4 @ Oct 16 2005, 07:58 AM)Heat & dampness in the system can cause bacteria build-up, not good for your health. Smell is strong & musty/mouldy, like a damp basement.

Proprietary anti-bacterial treatments such as Valeo Clim Pur will clean & purify the aircon/climate control system, just follow the instructions & you'll soon have sweet-smelling air free of nasties pouring out of the vents! Cost in UK is circa £8.95 including tax.

Hope this cures it.

[snapback]16783[/snapback]​

I would have to say it is a musty type smell. Is the product you mention something I would find in a auto type shop or a hardware store. This may be a product you can only find in the UK? Thanks for the tip.

I'll go out and take the car for a quick spin in the next hour and report back on whether the Wynn's helped at all.

brianf

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Wynn's worked for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm still going to get those cabin filters changed though.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advice.

brianf

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
well the filters would be common to both heat and cool cycles

IMHO it was simply necessary to flush the bit unused for 6 months [and the Wyns stuff would help]

remember the heater coil was ON all summer [but no air passing through] so every nasty floating around gets cooked on to the coil so no wonder it smells on first use

other aspect of bypass system is the hot air does not pass though the cool coil as in "old" system so there is no "washing" effect of a wet coil [condensate]

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
QUOTE(brianf @ Oct 16 2005, 03:46 PM)I would have to say it is a musty type smell. Is the product you mention something I would find in a auto type shop or a hardware store. This may be a product you can only find in the UK? Thanks for the tip.

I'll go out and take the car for a quick spin in the next hour and report back on whether the Wynn's helped at all.

brianf
[snapback]16793[/snapback]​

Great, the bacteria & other growths can be quite nasty, especially if anyone in the car has a breathing condition such as asthma or a weakened immune system.

Have checked-out Wynn's Fresh Air on the Web & it looks like it is anti-bacterial so should be good for at least 6 months. The Valeo product is similar & helps prevent expensive evaporator corrosion. Valeo do operate in North America but are predominantly based in Europe, so I'm not sure whether readily available in North American auto shops. I get mine from www.eurocarparts.com and for overseas orders you can email [email protected] with enquiries.

Wishing you safe, happy & fresh-smelling motoring!

BB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take it to the dealer and make sure that that "after blow" is turned on. I agree that since its the first time for the heat you need to get rid of some of the residual dust and so forht but if its a stinky smell, then its most likely a situation where your after blow is set to off (as mine was) and as your a/c unit works all summer you get a mold/mildew condition within the system. The after blow works once you turn the car off to dry out the system and ensure that moisture is not left behind to grow. I had mine turned on and the stink went away. Also, change out that air filter too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(Red60R @ Oct 22 2005, 08:39 AM)Take it to the dealer and make sure that that "after blow" is turned on.
[snapback]17079[/snapback]​

Ahhhh. I will do that! Thanks.

brianf

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It should already be turned on. There was a tech note that everytime the tech connected the Vadis/Vida to the car they were to make sure the afterblow function was turned on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts