Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam very sad and in the process of pulling my hair out (Thats if I had any)

I have a 1993 850 volvo NON-turbo. My timing belt broke. Of course i bent the valves. I purchase a used head from ebay. Had it checked for cracks and warpage by machine shop. I installed the head with a mechanic friend (although he had never changed a volvo 850 head) lined up the markings as listed in hayes manual

marks on both cam shaft sprockets lined up with the V on the timing belt cover . Mark on the inner crankshaft lined up with the oil pump housing. (all lined up perfectly)

Car wont start until I move the distributor, but even then it spits and sputters and will run like crap smoking up a storm. My Friend says that the it is firing too late, he says that the marks the sprockets and or crank that are shown cannot be correct. I do know that when the marks are lined up the rotor is pointing at #1 cylinder on the distibutor cap, but the # 1 cylinder on the motor is not up all the way on TDC (top dead center) it it about one tooth off. I never took the crankshaft pulley off and the mark on the inside of the crankshaft pully does line up the the tiny V notch on the cranshaft sprocket .Ive spent the last 2 days trying to figure this problem out please please help me Iam desperate.

would LOVE for a phone call to explain to me what might be my solution (240) 893-9689 Demetrius but will take emails too.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Here is 2 things you need to look at.1 remove the distibuter and rotor.Remove the metal peice the rotor screws to.Check that really good it is supposed to only go one one way.Sometimes it will feel like it went on right but didn't.Once you remove it look on the back of it and see if the little tabs that stick out away from it are bent.They probably will be if so you need to straighten the tabs and reinstall properly.Then the car will start up.

2.Sometimes the crank pulley has 2 marks on it and can be mistaken while installing belt.

I would check what I told you about the dist. first I am telling you from experiance.I went through the same thing within the past year.

Check that out and let me know.

If you don't understand let me know and I will call you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts