Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem on my 2 yr old V70 bi-fuel of entire system failure whilst driving - this takes place at about 20 to 25 mph in LPG mode and causes the engine to cut out, loss of brakes and loss of powerstreering. I believe this is a very dangerous design fault in either my particular V70 or the LPG system as a whole.

I don't want to go into my history so far with Volvo on this matter, but wonder if worldwide any other LPG owner has had the same experience.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Im not to sure about your problem but about half of the cars out there if they stall they will loose steering and brakes due to they are both worked by the engine running.

Sorry but I don't know anything about LPG they are not avalible here in the U.S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
Having worked in the LPG world (#1 Dutch LPG brand) for several years, I have driven in a Peugeot 406 coupe 2.0l 16v with a retrofitted modern LPG tank/system, it has given me no problems.
-What does the dashboard say? is the 'check engine" light coming on? I definetely would have the dealer hook it up to their computer system in order to get a readout.
-The sometimes varying quality of the LPG fuel can cause problems. Do you always fuel up at the same gasstation (or brand) ? It can make a difference!
-Do you drive on until the last drop of LPG is used? Rather fuel up in those last 50 miles.
-Your Volvo could be equipped with a Vialle lpg system which has been developed in close collaboration with Volvo and bearing the Volvo logo, you can contact them at www.vialle.nl.
Hope this was of help.
Valerie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 17 2005, 12:48 PM)Im not to sure about your problem but about half of the cars out there if they stall they will loose steering and brakes due to they are both worked by the engine running.

Sorry but I don't know anything about LPG they are not avalible here in the U.S.
[snapback]3503[/snapback]​

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Valerie for your trouble
-What does the dashboard say? is the 'check engine" light coming on? I definetely would have the dealer hook it up to their computer system in order to get a readout.
NOTHING comes up , it just dies!!
-The sometimes varying quality of the LPG fuel can cause problems. Do you always fuel up at the same gasstation (or brand) ? It can make a difference!
Yes Shell ( no plug intended)
-Do you drive on until the last drop of LPG is used? Rather fuel up in those last 50 miles.
Nope, it cuts out full, half full or any time
-Your Volvo could be equipped with a Vialle lpg system which has been developed in close collaboration with Volvo and bearing the Volvo logo, you can contact them at www.vialle.nl.
Thanks I will
John B

·
Registered
30 Posts
HI there!
Also having LPG but Italian made- BRC. Having no trouble, but slightly higher consumptoin- about 15liters /100km... thats mixed driving.. Your issue is an accleration- with this also no trouble- goes up to 100km/h in 8-9 sec. (automatic transmition, wagon, T5..) on petrol or LPG- no difference in this...just having problem with a ugly smell- some leackage somweher... goin up to a workshop tomorow...
They have sayed once for me- some refuel stations might put some condensate into tank due to poor maintenance there- from time to time they should drain it, but not all are making it at time...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've a V70 2.4 (170Bhp) Auto converted to LPG last year and recently I've started having the same problems whereby when I am driving at low speed and the car cuts out.
Two authorised Volvo dealers have looked at the problem but because it was done by an external garage they are not sure what the problem is. They've identified the following: ECM 201A - Coolant Temperate Sensor in Thermostat housing is faulty, ECM 250A - Long Term Fuel Trim (could be anything) and the Mass Air-Flow Sensor is faulty.
I'm returning the car to the place where it was converted for a better diagnostic, so will keep you informed.
P.S. I've also an S40 converted by the same place over two years ago and have no problems - just don't know what to do with all the money I've saved - do 'bout 23K year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great to find this website. I have had problems with the LPG cutting out since it was new but at the start no-one believed me. I now have a running battle, since the warranty ran out, to get this fault fixed. I am now considering legal advise as the car is unsaleable privately or to a dealer as I would have to disclose this problem. Our local Volvo dealer is being very helpful, unfortunately the main Volvo concession is not. It appears that they expect us to pay £1000 every 3/4 months when the distributor packs up again. I have been stranded in Trafalgar Square once when it cut out. Any feedback would greatly help my cause. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem of random stalling with LPG. Almost killed me and family on motorway. Taking car to garage shortly, will advise; suggest if anyone else has the same problem on the factory conversion we tackle Volvo together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts