Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first time poster (and, frankly, somewhat of an autmotive novice). I own a 2002 Volvo S60 with about 50,000 miles. The Display has recently read "Low Coolant, Stop Engine" when I first crank it up in the morning, but goes away and doesn't come back. I've been paying attention to the engine temperature and it's not going up.

I guess I probably need to top off the coolant, so my question is-

1. How do I do it?
2. Is there a certain type of coolant I need to get?

Thanks in advance,
Pgm4au

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I hate to ask a dumb question, but did u look to see it it was really low or not?

Assuming that it is low, its marked pretty clearly on my 05. Its in a reservoir on the right side (I think). The owners manual said to use only Volvo coolant. My guess would be that any 50/50 mix of water/antifreeze is OK though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

The reason that the light is on when you start is the water expands as the vehicle is warmed up causing the level to rise in the expansion tank, and turn off the low level light.

As far as I know there are no special requirements for antifreeze but check your manual on this.

The coolant is added to the expansion tank which is located in the engine compartment on the drivers side (LS) near the back/ firewall.
ONLY ADD COOLANT WHEN THE VEHICLE IS COLD.
There should be a line on the tank showing the proper level when cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts