Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 s80 with 60k miles. While traveling down a slightly bumby road or going over a bridge expansion joint I get a loud clunk from the front end, i think the right side. It feels like something is coming up through the floor on larger bumps. I had the sway bar links changed and this didn't help. Also have the same noise from back just not as loud, almost like a rattle. Any ideas on what this may be. I just bought the car and have had to put in new brakes and rotors, sway bar links, throttle body and upper enguine mount. I like the car, but cant keep sinking $ into it. I thought Volvos wre good for a couple hundred thousan miles.
Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have you checked your upper spring seats yet?If not open your hood and put a 13/16 wrench on the nut for the front struts if they turn easy the spring seats are bad.If they do not turn then they are good.If the feel springy but do not turn they are good.Most of the time the spring seats being bad will cause the clunking over bumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 16 2005, 07:42 PM)Have you checked your upper spring seats yet?If not open your hood and put a 13/16 wrench on the nut for the front struts if they turn easy the spring seats are bad.If they do not turn then they are good.If the feel springy but do not turn they are good.Most of the time the spring seats being bad will cause the clunking over bumps.
[snapback]2348[/snapback]​

Thanks for the reply, the right side turns real easy, so it must be bad right? The car seems to give a rough ride over bumbs, would that be struts? Any ideas on the noises from trhe rear? Thanks for the help

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
First and easiest thing for the rear noise make sure the spare tire and jack assy. is secured properly.You should also check the rear sway bar links they do go bad occasionaly.Could be worn struts haven't seen that very often at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thnaks for the help Tech, Right front strut mount was bad as well as the rear shocks. I have driven the car a couple times since repaired and all seems well

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same problem with my 99 S80... I did as you all advised on checking the nuts on the strut mount on top and the right side was easy to turn and the left wouldn't (except for one of the three).

Will I have to replace the whole strut or just the top mount - any ideas out there on cost? Difficulty to DIY???

Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You will have to replace the top mount.
If you have never replaced one before I would leave it to the pro's.
If you have taken one apart before then it is easy.

I think the part is like $50.00 or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had a similar clunking noise on my front left side with my 2002 S80 T6. I did what you suggested and my question is are there 3 different nuts per strut mount? If so, then I didn't have any problems with them turning. What else should I consider?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You will only have one nut that is a 13/16 size. The other 3 that hold the strut to the car are 13mm.

But if the spring seat is good then you will have to check the sway bar links.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tech,

Finally got around to replacing the top mounts - had it done by a local reputable shop. For the most part (I'd say 85-90%) the loud clunk over the bumps is gone (or more quiet). However it is still there somewhat....

What else can I try?

is this the next step??

Part Code: 3546189A

Part Name: Strut Bearing

Part Brand: ScanTech

Part Cost: $59.90

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Next step control arm bushing (a large one on top of the arm),they r bad if u can see if there some piece of rubber sticks out from them.(they cost 30-40$ for 2 pic. but wery hard to replace or get a big hamer and a pipe)
In my case they loud knocked only at sharp turns or on big road bumps, before that i had replaced left and right front stabilizer links they make soft clunk noise all the time on any bumps.

BTW i think it was improbable that top mounts where bad

And next on repair list ETM

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 S80 that makes a loud squeak/honk when I go over any bump at all, it is so loud that it is audible to people on the sidewalk; it is as if they think that we are honking at them it is so loud. Has this gone beyond spring seats?

·
Registered
6 Posts
tech could you just clear something up for me?ive also got the clonking noise on a t6.when in turn the top nut on the strut is it only kaput if the nut moves ie tightening up or if the nut moves along with the entire top part of the strut that is seen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts