Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when driving over a bump, noise comes from dashboard. sounds like a loud clap. sounds like bolt is breaking loose and kicking around the engine. dealer says the dashboard clips broke, which are part of dashboard and will not cover under extended warranty. claims cowl bolts were overtorqued. these have never been touched. dealer wants $2500 plus, to fix. certified volvo extended warranty refuses to cover. this must be a factory defect which volvo refuses to admit too. i researched internet and found that a service bulletin was issued for excessive movement and noise from dashboard. i am trying to locate bulletin. can anyone help.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have you contacted Volvo customer service?I would call them and complain to them.Have you ever had the evaperator replaced in your car?If so and the dealer did it then you can complain to the dealership and most of the time they will repair it.I tryed searching for the bulletin that you speak of and could not find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(golfgal44 @ Jan 11 2005, 11:59 PM)
when driving over a bump, noise comes from dashboard. sounds like a loud clap. sounds like bolt is breaking loose and kicking around the engine. dealer says the dashboard clips broke, which are part of dashboard and will not cover under extended warranty. claims cowl bolts were overtorqued. these have never been touched. dealer wants $2500 plus, to fix. certified volvo extended warranty refuses to cover. this must be a factory defect which volvo refuses to admit too. i researched internet and found that a service bulletin was issued for excessive movement and noise from dashboard. i am trying to locate bulletin. can anyone help.
[snapback]2225[/snapback]​

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 12 2005, 09:05 AM)Have you contacted Volvo customer service?I would call them and complain to them.Have you ever had the evaperator replaced in your car?If so and the dealer did it then you can complain to the dealership and most of the time they will repair it.I tryed searching for the bulletin that you speak of and could not find it.
[snapback]2227[/snapback]​

Tech,

Thank you very much for the fast reply. The document is what I have been looking for. Unfortunately, it just reiterates the Volvo party line I have been hearing.

Your suggestion of contacting customer service is appreciated as well, but I have been through that route numerous times. Most of the time they have been pretty snotty.

Basically the situation is this. I purchased the pre owned car through a Volvo dealer under the Certified Volvo program. This program included an extended manufacturer's warranty to 6 years from the date of original purchase (1999) . Before I bought the car, I was able to find out the previous owner's name and address and contacted her. The car was off lease. The original owner claimed she had no problems with the car and no Volvo records show any repairs needing dashboard removal. I have not had any repairs in this area either. The Volvo dealers insist I must have had work done on the outside. Why would I have paid for this out of my own pocket and not gone through the warranty program? They cannot explain that either.

Basically, I am finding out that the vaunted "Volvo" extended warranty is actually a third party warranty which Volvo has no say over. The private company considers this a problem with a "trim" item and not covered, even though structural interior parts are covered. Volvo has stated they cannot intervene on my behalf. By the way, the third party company's customer service reps are less friendly than Volvo's.

The whole upshot here is that the repair is valued at over $2500 and no one wants to ante up.

I think the convertible body is not stiff enough and the twisting of the body over hard bumps has placed strain on these bolts, causing the brackets to break. Sedans would be less prone to have the problem, due to the roof structure.

Any ideas of other recourses? The fact the Volvo warranty is mistated as a manufacturer's warranty may be reason for a class action suit if enough people get mad about it.

I appreciate your help.

Imagolfgal

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The tabs are prone to breaking.That was a poor design for the mounting tabs.We have removed the dash and repaired the tabs in the past.

Golfgal44 did you get the private message I sent you?

Sorry didn't see your post above!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
How far are you out of factory warranty?I have seen customers complain to service managers in the past and make a Volvo Factory Rep. inspect the car and Volvo paid for a one time good will to replace the dash.Most of the time they will do it if you aren't that far out of factory warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 13 2005, 12:18 AM)How far are you out of factory warranty?I have seen customers complain to service managers in the past and make a Volvo Factory Rep. inspect the car and Volvo paid for a one time good will to replace the dash.Most of the time they will do it if you aren't that far out of factory warranty.
[snapback]2243[/snapback]​

Tech,

Thanks again!

If the original warranty is 4 years, then the problem was reported within one year after the original warranty expiring. Volvo has refused to even consider this as they state the car is out of the warranty period and is the responsibility of the third party warranter.

You seem to have a good deal of info on this subject. I would like to continue this conversation off line. Let me know you would consider trading private messages on the subject.

Thanks again.

golfgal44

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have contacted the department of transportation. they sent a form for me to fill out. if anyone else sends in a complaint regarding the same problem, they will try to have a recall put out. i would like other volvo owners to contact me if they have experienced the same problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi tech, remember me? loose dashboard? just to let you know, one year later, i'm still receiving no luck in fixing the dashboard. as of yesterday, i initiated a lawsuit to two dealers and volvo corporation.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes I remember you.
Keep me posted as you go through the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi again. thanks again for responding. i have a question for you. i was initiating the suit against volvo and 2 dealers. (dealer of purchase, and local dealer where i have been taking it for service). local dealer has been very polite, but not exactly giving because i didn't buy car there. my local (non-volvo) mechanic knows the parts manager in the local dealer. he advised me not to bring action against local dealer in the event that he needs their assistance in the future in fixing my car. for instance, if he needs special parts or instructions. the car will be out of extended warranty soon and i wont' be bringing it to volvo for service if i can help it. (too expensive). what is you opinion. would the local dealer's service dept. know if i brought a lawsuit to their dealer? would they retaliate in some way regarding the service i receive? would my mechanice have to give vin # of my car, if he needs any parts for the car? i must make this decision by tomorrow. PLEASE HELP AS YOU HAVE DONE SO OFTEN IN THE PAST.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be fine the parts Dept will only need the last 6 or 8 digits of your Vin# or get parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts