Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently own two Volvos, a 1999 XC 70 and a 1998 S-70, and have had Volvos since 1969. We generally love the cars. I especially love the seating since I am 6'3", but we have always had problems with the poor service received from dealerships. Subsequently we have gone to an independent mechanic (Peabody Auto Clinic) who is extremely honest, helpful and does diagnoses rather than simply replaces parts (as Volvo does).

In any event, my wife's XC 70 (c. 170 K) recently encountered strange warning light sequences and dash issues. After spending $700 at our local Volvo dealer without any change I thought I would ask those of you who may have had a similar problem.

On several occasions the car goes through the following sequence of events: the ABS and Brake lights go on, then the transmission arrow light starts flashing, then the odometer and speedometer stop, then the arrow stops flashing and the winter mode kicks in, then the odometer and speedometer reactivate and the winter mode turns off, finally the car just runs OK but the engine light remains on (as it was at the beginning since Volvo doesn't know what to do).

Have any of you ever encountered this problem? Our mechanic believes this is caused by a short circuit but as of this writing cannot locate it. Thoughts?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have seen this problem before but can't remember exactly what the problem was.I am thinking maybe the computer assy. that is the speedo and odometer assy circuit board.The other things I would check would be make sure the wires at the alternator and the starter are clean and tight.I will see if I can find out anymore info.If I do I will let you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What codes does it set?

Also be sure to check all the modules as sometimes an abs or transmission module communciation loss can cause problems with other modules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts