Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech, the Lambda light switched itself on again, this morning, on the way to work.

If you remember the first time I mentioned the light, the car was in idle position while waiting at the traffic light for the lights to change. And there was a buildup of a short but high-rev, together with a slight jerk on the car, before the light switched on. But this time, the car was in motion when the Lambda light switched on.

The first time I sent the car to the original dealer, he said he had to 'service' the sensors. I asked for a more detail explanantion, and he said that they had to 'clean' the sensor. That's all.

Any ideas why is the sensor light up again?

I plan to have a long trip out of town this weekend, to Penang. More than 300 kms from where I stay, one way. Do you think it would be wiser for me to check the sensor light now, before the journey, or could I wait till after the journey to have them check it?

The "1-month Goodwill" verbal warranty will expire on the 17th of March. (In Malaysia, the dealer usually sells the car on an "As Is, Where Is" basis. So, to get them to offer the verbal warranty is quite an OK thing lah. Except that usually labor charges are given exceptions.

For instance, the first time they checked the Lambda light, they didn't charge me anything. (Probably the summed everything up in the second bill yesterday - Erg. @#$%@[email protected]!. Whooops, sorry.)

So, Tech dude,

What are your prognosis?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh sorry, I plan to drive the car to Penang - More than 300 kms one-way and thus more than 600 kms - return.

Is there any potential dangers to having the Lambda light on, while taking the long trip?

Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would say you might want to stop and have them pull the codes quick atleast.If they tried to push you off last time by telling you they needed to clean the sensor only.It may need to be replaced.Do you remember what sensor it was?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check today and post my findings.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, Tech.

I really can only describe what happened.
So, here goes:-

When I arrived, he dropped all he was working on, and went directly into my car with a dark-silverish-black handheld box (i presume the OBDII-reader) and plugged it in. Then the "Nyit, Nyit, Nyit" sounds began - originating from the reader and as a result of him pressing the buttons. Next came the hand-under-chin-gestures together with the "Hmmm", and "Ermmmm"s. Occasionally there were a few "Aaah"s of relief and then the "Hmmm" continues.

Finally, after about five minutes, he looked at me and grinned. "OK, Boss! Done!"...

I went like "huh...?"

(I applied for a half-day leave today, just so that I can learn from this guy a thing or two, on the car, and he gave me all the whack and said "OK"...???)

He said he just reset the 'Lambda" light as he is so sure, that everything is okay - since it was he who worked on the Lambda light the first time I brought it in, to check on the same issue.

Then I asked him about the Turbo Display Lever that didn't come down, since I picked the car up (refer other posting on "Turbo display lever") and he stared blankly on the dashboard and next, he popped the hood, and began the "Ayyayayayayyaayyaaaaaa".
Him: "Boss, next time don't just simply-simply bukak (take-off) the cables lah... You see, this cable oledi (already) cabut (came off)!!"

Me: "No, since the last time I came here, which was the last two days ago, I have not popped the hood. So, no, it wasn't me who took it off."

Anyway, the cable he was referring to situated in the yellow circle in the attachment below. By the way, I got the photo from the web, and used it to better explain the situation. He said something about it being "Air regulariser??? Air pressure???" After reconnecting the cable, everything went fine. But upon my drive back, i pressed the pedal a bit and then found that the Turbo lever got stuck again. I popped the hood myself in the middle of nowhere and saw the cable came loose again. I connected the cable again, and it was okay. Hmmm...

Can the cable be replaced? Would it cost a thumb?

I think I need a more caring and understanding mechanic who sees me more than just the fatso who pays for the car and all other repairs. Duh.

Thanks for your time, Tech.

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The thing you have circled is the throttle cable cover.There is some vaccum lines under it.If one keeps poping off one of 2 things are happening.1. The vaccum elbow is stretched and falling off.2. There is something interfeering with the vaccum line pulling it off.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Throttle cable cover... Well to start with, the car does not have one (the cover). The throttle cable and its unit and all the vacuum lines are all naked for the eyes to see. Sometimes, the mechanic simply turns the throttle to rev up the engine. Is it okay or should I ask around for any cover that's not used?

Below the throttle thing, as you said there are a few vacuum lines. Just to clarify, it is the one on the top most that kept coming off. Is there anykind of 'metal-cable-clip' that I can use to keep it fixed into place?

If the vaccum cable is stretched, what should I do to un-stretch it? But anyway, I don't think the cable is that stretched. Hence, probably your second diagnosis is more of the case - as the cable comes off, whenever I start flooring the pedal (chasing BMWs or bullying Hondas, for instance).

Hmm... Think I'll give the Volvo dealers a visit at the end of this month lah.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The Vaccum elbow on the end that plugs into the plastic peice on the engine is like $3.00 U.S. And you can replace it your self.If you want them to replace it and want to wait till the end of the month.Then just use a plastic wire tie(Zip tie).

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeeessss... That (zip tie), I can do.

But then again, Tech.

How serious or important is the vacuum thing?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could set a check engine light and make it run funny.Im not sure exactly which one it is and where it goes to.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pleased to report that for the whole total journey of 793kms last weekend, everything ran smooth as they should. The vacuum elbow did not came off and I didn't have to zie-tie it though I've bought a whole bunch of them already.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to share with you that I have taken a photo of the vacuum cover with the zip-ties. So far, about almost 2,000 kms have transpired and the ties still look OK.

N/B:
Proud of myself and the CHEAPSKATE technique you taught, Tech. (Oh please, no offense to you, dude.)

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to share with you that I have taken a photo of the vacuum cover with the zip-ties. So far, about almost 2,000 kms have transpired and the ties still look OK.

N/B:
Proud of myself and the CHEAPSKATE technique you taught, Tech. (Oh please, no offense to you, dude.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DUDE!!!

One of the mechanics who saw this technique using the zip-ties actually advised another friend of mine (850 GLE) to do the same! Hahah...

Cool, man. They should like, give us royalty or something for this!

MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts