Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have owned a Volvo 244 GL (manual) with electric 5th gear for about one year. When I initially bought it, it had a 'knocking' transmission and the previous owner advised that his mechanic said it was engien mounts. I had them replaced; which didn't solve the problem. I was then advised by my own mechanic it could be the gearbox mounts; replaced them; problem not solved.

Since the gearbox and engine mounts replacement the card now jumps out of gear anytime the car is in 2nd or 4th gear. The mechanic who did the work says it could be the rubber that surrounds the gearstick (sounds unlikely as this is the same gearstick rubber 'surround' as before the problem).

Does anyone know what may be the cause and solution? I have put up with the car jumping out of gear for the best part of a year; but now it's really annoying me. Thanks all. Dave

ps. The solution to the transmission knock was the rear driveshaft section support; a circular rubber that cost a few bucks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
One possible cause for your problem may be that the shift lever is in need of adjustment. The shift lever is adjusted with the boot pulled up and for second gear, about 0.04 inches clearance between detent screw and the detent plate. (adjustment is made by loosening off the bolts and moving the plate).

Worst case, worn shifter forks or loose input shaft bearing retainer.

Good luck,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean the rubber boot that surrounds the gear stick?
Since the gearbox mounts were done the gearstick jumps around like some sort of excited jolly marital aid
, especially when there is any bump in the road.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is the boot I meant.

I drive a 240 on some pretty rough roads and I can't say that the shifter is anything but rock solid. I think that even though you had engine and transmission mounts replaced you might want to check if a mount or crossmmember is loose.

The shifter is mounted solidly to the transmision on a framework of it's own. You might check if that is solid. Except for the amount of movement allowed by the rubber mounts, your shifter is fixed relative to the bodywork ( the hole in the floor it comes through.)

Any other thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about this but I'm still unsure as to what you mean. Do you mean that I can open up the Boot Lid (where baggage is normally stowed) and adjust the gear stick there. I can't envisage this. The cross member and transmission mounts I know about. I should get a book out probably. Thanks, D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi Dedwalker

apologies from my end. I just now looked to see where you live and it gave me a chuckle, I forgot that more than the accent separates the English language.
For North Americans, the boot is the rubber cover over the gearshift stick. The adjustment plate that you are looking for is under this "cover".

-but back the gearshift movement problem, I take it you meant that it jumps around when you hit a bump, it shouldn't....too much movement somewhere.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts