Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 1993 854 GLE, NZ$2500 (UK£1000, US$1800)

I have begun to amass a list of faults. Some may have been present on purchase, some have just occured!!

1) Transmission won't change up till the vehicle has been running for about 10 mins (especially on damp mornings) - looked at various tranny topics and think the winter switch might be the problem.

2) Washer bottle couldn't be filled - fixed - breather hose blocked with grease

3) Drain holes - all front and rear drains were blocked - all removed and cleaned.

4) Wash wipe - filter blocked - removed and cleaned

5) Headlight washers - won't wash (no water coming out) also one blade missing

6) Filler cap door - managed to stay locked - managed to fix this by removing and cleaning the lock

7) Glove compartment - has joined the league of the permanently locked - on the 'to do' list.

8) Sunroof water leak - big time problem; nice wet floor and seats; cannot pinpoint where the water is coming in but the roof liner is wet and when you turn it sometimes provides a free shower! (Incidentally the cloth from the inner sliding roof has been removed in the past)

9) Steering wheel vibrates on uneven surface (is this normal? e.g. when on a gravel road that is our drive way)

10) Heated seats - don't work; nor does the cigarette lighter, but fuses are fine. On 'to do' list

11) Near side heated mirror not working - on 'to do' list

Apart from the above the car is great

Any tips on the above gratefully received (NB I've seen the fixes for no. 7)

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
5. Look at the line connections. If the others have been clogged, there's a chance that this is too.

7. There a step-guide by Tech and Denkweb on this. Go here=> http://www.volvo-forums.com/t2328-how-to-o...n-glove-box.htm

8. Are you sure it's just the sunroof? Sometimes, small cracks within the drip-rail at the edge of the front wind-screens may also provide the wet-roof-lining effect.

9. If it's not leaking, then it may be okay. The 850 is a little stiff of a ride compared to the 900 series.

10. Probably wiring. There's a thread here, replied by Tech on what to check. Please browse through the past postings.

Hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
BTW, if you're a lot into DIY, please post us your step-by-step guides so that it may be beneficial to others as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK, story so far, was going to do sunroof (planned to remove and reseal) but rainy weather has prevented this - and the roof liner is nicely moist at present

Then the service light came on, so reset this and decided to do the diagnostic codes for everything.

I checked these where I could find the info (here, Bay 13, Ozbrick, etc.)

A1 - is giving 1-4-3 which is kick down switch faulty or shorted to earth - could be related to the PNP switch which needs doing??

B1 - Climate control - is giving 1-3-5; I haven't found the list for this - is this low gas pressure as the AC is not very cold and has previously been refilled.

A2 (fuel) - 2-1-2 - front O2 sensor; plan to reset and see what it does

B2 - Cruise control 1-2-2; again not got a decode for this, though it tends to be snatchy on the uptake of power.

A3 - 1-1-1 - YAAAH! the ABS works!!!

B5 - 1-1-1 - SRS (whatever that is) is fine too.

A5 (Transmission Control unit) and A6 (ignition) appear not to have sockets with connectors - is this normal on a GLE??

A7 (combined) is 1-1-1 too.

B6 (power) - doesn't produce any codes (should it?)

The very helpful Volvo dealer wouldn't tell me the codes, and also suggested the Oxygen sensor needs replacing ASAP and the part is either $500 or $1000!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah did exactly that by pulling the battery lead. Now only showing A1 and B1. Hopefully doing the timing belt and PNP switch weekend after this one, so hopefully A1 will go too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rechecked codes - the fuel system 2-1-2 has disappeared, but the tranny one (1-4-3 kickdown switch to earth), cruise control (1-2-2) and the climate (1-3-5) remain.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is a fault somewhere. I will see if I can find any info on the 1-4-3 code.
That might also be giving the cruise control code.

The climate one im not sure of but will see.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A2 code 2-1-2 has reappeared ? why!!!

Gas has been refilled on air con, but 1-3-5 remains - anyone know the B1 codes?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
A2 212 is bad front o2 sensor.

B1 135= engine coolant temp signal missing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O2 sensor code seems to come and go. Took the GLE to another air con firm they recommended changing the engine coolant temp sensor as first job - so watch this space on that.

I also tackled the sunroof using THIS as my guide. Was fairly straight forward getting it out and back in, but......

I decided to completely rmove the outer seal, as I was convinced this was the problem. On removing it I found that underneath the seat was quite heavily corroded, and hence why it was leaking. I cleaned this with sand paper and then mineral turps before reapplying the seal , which I had applied a light coat of marine silicone sealant.

This is where the fun began - it must be applied with a fairly strong stretching machine, as it would not join up - it had to be held in place with masking tape until set. Then it was incredibly slightly 'tight' for the opening, which made the adjustment for opening and closing a mission. Eventually it all realigned and it appears OK (especially as it didn't leak during a downpour today).

My advice - well, if you can get a decent replacement glass where the seal looks good, then take that; if you do remove the seal bear in mind it will be hard to get back on - it may be better to apply a layer of seal on the inner side of the glass - no-one will see it, but you risk that the corrosion will remain and possibly leak again.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Well done, dude.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts