Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! First post!
I own an '82 240 glt with 290,000k miles, 2 1985 740 turbo's with 200,000k + miles and an 89 740 turbo wagon. All of these cars could easily go another200k- or so it seems. Acting on what seemed to be an inspired tip from my trusty Volvo Master mechanic, i bought a 1997 850 GLT (70k) which I love... light years beyond my 80's models in terms of plain joy of driving. Well, my life circumstances have changed and i now have to part with my fleet (at prices way below their true value)so that i am forced to live like a normal person with one trustworthy Volvo.
I don't know if it's genetic paranoia or what, but,will this 850 GLT go the distance that my other Volvos have ? Is the 5 cylinder engine 300k capable? Any one know for sure? Thanks for any kindly advice. Or, any information based on experience.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I am driving a 1996 855T5 on a daily basis for commuting and all. The last i checked the meter read 244,+++ kilometres.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
As long as the servicing has been and will be kept up 300,000 miles will be no problem.I have seen those engines do over 400,000 miles and still running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi HPY-55! This is my first post on this forum. I also own a 97 GLT with 64K on it. It's a dark teal wagon I bought in the States and had shipped to my wife here in Norway as her milennium present. I bought mine in used in Seatle in 2000 for $23K with 33K miles on it. I totally accessorized it before shipping it over because Volvo parts here in Norway are much higher than in the US because of the 25% sales tax.

If you want that 300K on your engine, and it will achieve it if you care and pamper it, use Mobil 1 synthetic every three to five thousand miles, depending on your conscience. I change every three, even though a liter of Mobil 1 in this part of the world costs almost $30. Unbelievable, but true. In the States it's right at $4.50 a quart from Wal-Mart, which I don't like shopping at but do on occasion. Mobil 1 being one of them.

More important than the engine though, if you're after longevity, is the transmission. Switch to Mobil 1 ATF and flush every two years if you haven't already. By flush I mean disconnect the tranny hose that goes into the top of the radiator, stick a long piece of half-inch plastic tubing on the end of it, run it into a jug, start the engine, and let it pump out fluid until you see bubbles--this is the two-quart indication. Shut off engine, add two quarts through the dipstick hole via a narrow funnel, start engine, repeat. Do this until you've run twelve quarts through the transmission. While the engine is running and pumping out fluid, run the shift lever back and forth between park, drive and reverse. This opens up various compartments in the transmission and lets the oil flush in and out. Flushing to some shops, including some Volvo service centers, is undoing the plug at the bottom of the transmission, letting two quarts run out, and then adding back two. That doesn't do it. The transmission olds six or seven quarts, I can't remember. The above method assures you the transmission has clean oil throughout.

If you do this, change your brake fluid and coolant every two years using Volvo's fluids, you will get your 300K if you keep your foot off the accelerator at the stop signs. Dick

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I tend to agree. As long as you care for the car, it will not fail you.

It's usually when you 'forget', that things happen, and we normally end-up cursing the car.
We're actually cursing ourself.

Hey, remember Murphy's Law:- Everything bad that can happen, will happen. So, if we're prepared, better the chances...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts