Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Second of all, where I live, the parts of a Volvo 850, when compared to a Toyota Camry, is relatively higher. But not too much. Maintenance too, may be just slightly higher but the servicing cycle is almost double to that of a Camry, so by the end of the day, it is cheaper.
Miles, well, that would be up to you, dude. I read somewehre in this forum that someone has already travelled like close to 400,000kms already.

Third of all, if find a good one, and take care of it well, it can last longer than you may initially thought.

But the best of all, is that, a Volvo will NOT crumple like the Toyota would, in an accident. Safety features are always better if not tops, in its class.

Trust me, in my country, we have lots of Japanese cars -> I've seen how they become decimated into flat steel.
Not to say Volvos wont, but the probability is faaaar less.

With your dad, well, you know how parents can be. As I am also a parent of two, all I can say is that you'll need to reason with them - always. Don't force your ideas, it won't go through. They've been through a lot and having you forcing your ideas on them would mean a tyranny-like conquest - totally unacceptable.

Focus on the strength of Volvos - the safety part and the longevity part, and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am also looking for information about Volvo's. 850's and 960's are my choices so far, but I would be open to suggestion. I'm new to Volvo also, so I'm in the same boat as you.

As for Toyota Camry, it is a good car, but everybody has one. That's all my dad's bought since 1988. It's nothing to brag about, just good basic transportation. There are millions of them on the road, and most of them still run pretty good. I don't know about Volvo's, but I do know that the Jap cars tend to have better electrical systems than most European cars. However the Euro cars tend to have better engines and suspensions and body steel. The Euro cars will last longer, they'll just be throwing sparks as your driving down the road.

I personally drive a BMW 328is and I absolutely love it. But being older (96), it does have some slight electrical problems (nothing that replacing a few switches won't fix), but everything still works, just not as good as it used to.

Good luck in your Volvo hunting !

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(CCO Eagle @ Jul 12 2005, 10:45 AM)What kind of gas mileage can you get out of your Volvo? That's another thing my dad *might* hit on, saying that I need a high-gas mileage car for college.

As for my 855T5, on highways, it can go as low as 8.5 Litres for every 100kms travelled. Pure city driving is somewhere between 15 - 17 Litres for every 100 kms travelled. Mixed driving would be somewhere in the middle.

QUOTE(CCO Eagle @ Jul 12 2005, 10:45 AM)I'm definitely not your typical teen, I'm not a fan of these "rice-rockets".

Ah, too bad, jus about to entice you with the T5 and the R versions....

QUOTE(CCO Eagle @ Jul 12 2005, 10:45 AM)I like cars built for quality, such as: Volvo and Mercedes-Benz. I would not want one of these cars because I want a "rich" car or anything, I want a car that is built to last a long time, and gets decent gas mileage along with it (like the Benz 190Es). Thanks again for the information!
[snapback]11300[/snapback]​

No problem.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Ehem. Sorry, we use kilometers and not miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First off Toyotas are the *quality car. I myself am looking for a 850 R as my first car going into High School and are unsucsessful at finding a *quality car thats in good shape. 850s tend to get decent milage but I have been told they have many problems if not taken care of. Volvo builds a car that will last 200,000(or more) miles with ease if taken care of. They are more expensive to maintain but seeing as both are forigen(sorry cant spell) cars they will both be expensive. I know from expirence as my brother has a 2002 Camry LE which rarely if ever has a problem. Depending on the $ you are willing to spend you should look at other cars if you dont think you could pay for maintenice on a European car(tend to be pretty high). Let me ask 1 question...How much are you willing to spend? I can give you more suggestions when i find this out.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. For what my two cents are worth to you: get an S80. That to me, is a Volvo. I have the 2.0T 5 cylinder. For economy-if I drive it myself (not on cruise control) I get 7.9L per 100k's. Roughly, 40 miles per gallon. If I drive on cruise control I get 8.1L per 100k's. With a passenger on cruise control, I get 8.2L per 100k's. Those stats were taken over a 400k country drive. I use BP Ultimate 98 fuel. The actually octane rating is 98.4. It is expensive petrol to buy-but very cheap to use. The car starts fabulous like, and, when I stimulate the Turbo, I have a V8
It uses the petrol to prove it too!!

I had a 740 Turbo after a brand new 2000 1.8L Toyota Corolla. I stamped on the accelerator of the 740 like I used to do on the Corolla and smoked the tyres.
I didn't expect the power delivery from the Volvo. I had to learn not to drive the 740 like the Corolla. The Corolla was good because it was brand new. But, very tiring on a journey and several design flaws. Would not buy another.

Keep us posted

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
It's always nice to hear first-hand stories from Volvo owners.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

OKay then. Just remember to test the W button (Winter Mode) when checking out the 850.

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Jul 17 2005, 11:34 PM)

OKay then. Just remember to test the W button (Winter Mode) when checking out the 850.

[snapback]11512[/snapback]​

i too have a winter mode button and a very annoying light(color) that accompanies it on the gauges. what does winter mode allow the car to do differently....

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(CCO Eagle @ Aug 3 2005, 11:55 PM)*BUMP!*
[snapback]12740[/snapback]​

Since you 'bumped' this thread (OUCH! Careful will ya?)
think I should just mention that while I have not had the (dis)pleasure of changing the gearbox set yet, I know of many cars that are on their original, initial transmission unit - even after 10 years.

I believe if you go through the forum (use the SEARCH button - it will be EASIER) you'd be able to find a post of two specifically mentioning about the gearbox alone.

BUT OF COURSE, as much as possible, don't go for the FIRST YEAR OF THE MODEL. You should look for the third and subsequent years where bugs are normally flushed and identified and fixed...

It goes the same for tranny unit. If you want an 850, get one from the years 1995 and above.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi. another newbie here. hope y'all don't mind i'm resurrecting this thread (what's 2 years, anyway?
).

i found a '95 850 GLT with very high miles and below blue book. i haven't had -or needed- a car in about 8 years, and i'm trying to find an occasional-driver to move around gear. would i be tempting fate buying something w/ 190k+ miles on the clock?

any advice would be appreciated

cheers,
-charlie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts