Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 1990 240 GL from my in-laws for free (woohoo!) but there are some things wrong with it that might be expensive to fix if I can't do them myself. I'm a fairly handy person but I'm new to working on cars, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

First off, the odometer stopped working a few years ago. I would like to see if I can replace it myself. I picked up the repair manual for this car at the library, and it looks like the instrument cluster isn't too hard to get out. I'm just concerned with hooking up the new odometer unit and then figuring out where I can get one of those stickers to put in my door frame saying that the odometer mileage is not actual mileage. Any input on this issue?

Second, the speedometer works on and off. Since it sometimes works, I'm guessing it is a loose connection somewhere between the sensor on the rear axle and the dash. Or maybe the sensor is bad. Either way, is this something I'm likely to be able to fix myself, without complicated equipment or a vehicle lift?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You should be able to fix those problems your self.
You should be able to get a new gear to fix the odometer in there.
The company you buy the gear from should be able to get you a sticker as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I figured out the odometer thing, and it doesn't seem that hard to fix. But as far as the speedometer, how do I go about figuring out what the problem is? The actual speed sensor that mounts on the rear axle seems a bit pricy, like $100-150. The manual talks about needing to adjust it and shim it. Could it just be in need of adjustment? Or is it maybe faulty wiring, like many other parts of this car?

Thanks for the reply.

Adam

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would first check the wiring in the plug at the sensor.

I have never had to shim the sensor to adjust it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a similiar issue with the speedometer in my 240. But I can't find a pattern in it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If I drive long enough, it will usually come on. Almost NEVER works when you first start driving. And temperature doesn't seem to matter, as I get about the same results in 90+ degree weather, as below freezing. Hitting bumps doesn't change anything.

Any suggestions on this? The car will soon be given to my 16yo sister, so having the speedo not work for her is a nogo!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts