Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wonder if someone could help with a problem I noticed last night, none of the instument backlights around the climate control or trip computer are working, I've checked the bulbs and they are fine. Is there a conector somewhere that could have become dislodged? all the other dash lights are fine.

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi Chromakey.

It appears from what you have said that you have checked the bulbs & they are fine.

Therefore one simple cause of these lights not showing as being obviously lit, would be if you have inadvertantly knocked the rheostat control wheel that alters the brightness of the instrument panel lights to suit personal taste - this wheel is easily knocked, especially when cleaning the car interior.

The wheel is located to the right of the steering wheel as you sit in the car, above the fog light switch(es), to the right of the headlamp switch. First, check whether this wheel will move downwards - if not, then the instrument lights have been set at their dimmest level & the centre console lights may therefore be so dim as to not show up. Now move the wheel upwards and hopefully all of the instrument lights will brighten, including the centre console ones.

If above isn't the solution then carefully check the fuse. If that is OK then check that power is reaching the bulb-holders & if not, then you might need to gradually trace the wiring back from the bulb-holders to the fusebox in the engine compartment, checking connections on the way & finding out at what point the current is failing to get through.

There are some v. clever people on this forum - I don't count myself amongst them! - so maybe they will have some better ideas?

Best of luck, hope the solution is simple. Do let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Black Beauty T4,

Its not the dimmer, I've checked that, not put a meter over the ends yet, that'll be my next job when I get the time. I don't think its the fuse as the other dash lights are fine just those round the climate control.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sorry to hear that it isn't a simple answer.

If you have climate control rather than air con, I've got a feeling that this panel on the dash is removed as one unit. When pulled-out far enough, you should be able to see the final set of electrical connections.

Sounds like a methodical "trace & test" job, starting with the bulb-holders & these final connections. Hope it's something quick & low cost! If it's the panel itself, I have seen these for sale cheap on eBay.

Would be interested to know what you manage to track it down to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts