Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anyone, looking for some ideas on how to remove my instrument cluster to replace it with a different one on a 94 Volvo 850. How to take the dash cover off and so one.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Remove the A/C vents and you will find screws going into the upper dash pad.
Also on the drivers side by the door on the end of the dash pad you will see a plastic peice.Remove the round cover then the screw.Then remove the plastic peice.Under there is another screw going through the dash pad into the body of the car.remove it as well.
Sometimes you can carefully lift up on the dash pad with the drivers side loose and the center screws out and sneak in and remove the cluster.If not the you will have to disconnect the battery and remove the glove box and the airbag wiring and more screws.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
The first time I embarked on a very ambitious journey to open the dashboard, I stopped (not even half-way) but at the very first step.

I tried to use a screw-driver to wiggle the aircond vent out. Big mistake. Got scratches to remind me of my silly mistake.
Just turn the black vent downwards to its maximum, and then some more but slowly and not forcefully. It will give way and you can pull it out. No need screwdrivers. The screwdriver bit comes when you need to unscrew the holds.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Oh, one more thing, keep many spare rags handy for this, especially when removing the cluster. You don't want them to get scratched easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts