Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a really good estate car. I have read that the v70 is the king of estates, and practically indestructible. I'd appreciate any comments on this. My family and I often go on holidays with our caravan, so I'd also like to see the v70 rated for towing.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
In my opinion the 98 V70 is the best one to get if you are buying used.If not the new ones are great to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The anwer to your query is a very simple one indeed.......YES!!!

I bought mine in February 2004 after part ex-ing my beloved Volvo S40 2.0 Sport. After the purchase, I said to myself, why did I ever buy the S40 Sport in the 1st place when this thing is just simply the best thing around!!!

It is just magic! I have been away to the Lake Distict (in the mountains) a couple of weeks back with the Missus, her Mam & Dad 4 sets of luggage and a dog. No roof box as it all when in the back and the dog too!! It simply went like the wind and didnt struggle 1 bit!

What a magic motor! I bet there aint many cars out there that could do the same. Also, It went and handled better fully loaded, talk about sticking to the road!! I had it up to 95 MPH (153 k/ph) fully loaded at only 3,350 rpm!! and it wanted more! Honestly it would have done more if I put my foot down!

You can't beat the sweet sound of that growling enging - 2.4 5 cylinders with 20 valves! Sounds almost as goos as a V8!

Garage costs - in 1 year I have had a service and replaced a few bulbs and a couple of tyres (I gave the fronts a hard time) and thats it.

The only down point is that it aint the smoothest ride in the world but hey, its got everything else and when on a smooth road (or track whicj i would love to do) it will beat anything and the suspension is as smooth as silk!!

Hope this helps you decide to buy one!!

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd be interested in how people rate a V70 for towing a caravan also as were looking at a V70 D5 SE at the moment for towing our caravan. Would much prefer to drive a nice estate than a 4x4

Darren

·
Registered
27 Posts
well we are all biased here.....all owning V70s.They go great,look great and very reliable.Smooth uptake on my automatic and a dream on the motorways!! But hey they are doing some good deals on Rovers at the moment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, we just went and picked up or 2005 V40 2.4 from the dealer today. We did the overseas delivery and it was WONDERFUL!!!!! We drove it about 300 miles while we were in Sweden and it was PERFECT!!!! I traded in my 2001 V70 which I only had for about 6 months, it was one of those few "toads" out there. But, I loved enough things about the car (the way it drives, the comfortable seats, superb safety features, and stylish lines) to try again. Hopefully, I will continue to be dazzled. She sure is pretty! I would reccomend the car, if you buy used it MUST be certified pre-owned and give it strait back if you have any reservations about the integrity of the car (I sure wish I had returned mine the first day I had it...when the problems started).
Best,
Amy

·
Registered
150 Posts
Good luck on your new V40. I just dropped mine off at my dealer last week because it was coming off lease. I picked up a S80 and now l'm going to replace my old V40 with a V70.

Keep in mind that the V40 has problems that are unique to themselves.

The front brakes will not last past 25,000 miles design defect. The tires will only last 25,000 miles. It is really only ok in the snow. It is lower then most other cars.
A/c auto switch would shut off and on by itself.

Now the pro's. For a wagon it's quick, cool looking, but not as nice as the new V50. Has a lot of room in the back. Never had a problem where l was ever stranded.

This model was ended because of the new V50 and has been around in Europe since l bnelieve 1996.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts