Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas:
I can smell fuel on the drivers side of the 760 after driving her, but have yet to see any fuel leaking. I checked in the rear of the car as well by the sending unit and cant find any damaged fuel lines. Thank goodness I dont smoke

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check all the vent hoses at the gas tank and towards the front of the car.

Did it start after you filled the tank up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech:
I need to check all of the lines. I thought that I was gonna pass out from the fumes one day while standing next to the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure on your model but, on my 01 v70 I had the same problem and discovered that under the rear left seat there is an inspection panal when removed exposes the top of the tank.I had gas seeping from a gasket that held down a prepump. It look liked the top of a mason jar but, upside down.You need a special tool to remove or tighten it.I had a tech remove it . He found dirt on the gasket.He cleaned it lubed it and put it back on.You must make sure that the arrows on the lid and the tank match up or your fuel reading will be off.The arrows are hard to see on the rear.It is hard to tighten because the pump turns while your tightening the lid.I then opened all windows and ran a box fan all night and the smell finally went away.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fellas:
Under the inspeaction plate, I found the leak. It was the return fuel line. It was 5/16 line that was around 14" long. I had to ...........
1. Remove the plate
2. Start the car to wait for the leak to begin(to find the leak)
3. Jack up the car under the rear end
4. Place the stands under the side jack supports
A. This was for safety
B. And also extra clearance when I let the rear end down.
5. Then its a 5 minute job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts