Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I decided to buy my 94 850 glt. I dont know much about them and in my area junk yards and others alike avoid them like the plague. Anyone have an suggestions on what I should probably replace or be worried about at 167000 miles? I am the second owner and the first owner seemed to love this car cause its in like new condition. And I stole it for $2700. The only thing I can tell thats wrong with it is it doesnt blow really cold air and I hear a slight exhaust leak but nothing too serious. I also think the heater core blew at one time because the stereo looked like it had water damage on the back and I am having to replace it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The main thing to look at is the engine mounts,Axle boots,and belts.Make sure the timing belt was done at 140,000 if not do it ASAP.

The A/C might be a leaking evaperator.If you can charge it up with A/C dye and let it leak out again.Then when it does you can look it all over with a black light and see where it is leaking.

Check for the exhaust leaks because those cars are natrualy a little loud.You might not have a leak at all.It just might be the sound of the exhaust.

The water damage could be from many things when you have the radio out inspect behind it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 19 2005, 06:33 PM)The main thing to look at is the engine mounts,Axle boots,and belts.Make sure the timing belt was done at 140,000 if not do it ASAP.

The A/C might be a leaking evaperator.If you can charge it up with A/C dye and let it leak out again.Then when it does you can look it all over with a black light and see where it is leaking.

Check for the exhaust leaks because those cars are natrualy a little loud.You might not have a leak at all.It just might be the sound of the exhaust.

The water damage could be from many things when you have the radio out inspect behind it.
[snapback]3650[/snapback]​

Where is tyhe timing belt approx.? I havent really looked underneath the car much yet since Ive only had it about 10 days. Today my drivers seat malfunctioned and the hydrolic fluid in the trunk thing squirted out and pissed me off.
I will check soon about the timing belt though.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you open the hood and look towards the passenger side it is under a plastic cover.You will need to remove the cover.You might want to have a technician look at it and see if it has been replaced.The old owner you bought it from did they tell you the belt was replaced.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well no, but on that plastic cover where the computer is it says 144k in marker and on the plastic cover it is written "50k"

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Then looks like it has been replaced.It should be done every 70,000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts