Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the battery tray in order to get the the master cylinder on my 2005 v50 T5 AWD. But there's some kind of connector (looks like an electrical connector) that connects to the bottom of the battery tray, and I can't figure out how the remove this connector. I can't see it since it's under the battery tray, and feeling around I can't find any obvious way to disconnect it.

What purpose could there possibly be for an electrical-looking connector to the bottom of the plastic battery tray? And more importantly, how do I remove this connector?

I've attached some pics - one shows the connecter on the bottom of the battery tray; it comes up from underneath. The other photo is poor but shows the connector itself, off in the distance, under the tray (which you can't see in the photo).
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Auto part Art
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had to remove and reinstall the battery tray and this connector due to replacing my clutch. I believe this is a battery temperature sensor. In my situation, the connector had enough slack in the wire that I could remove the 3 screws holding the battery tray in place and partially remove the battery tray and then disconnect the harness, rather than trying to reach underneath the battery tray. Make sure not to pull too hard on the tray when removing as it is a very thin harness, however you will will have to maneuver it out, so just be careful. Let me know if you have any further questions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - you're right, it's a temp sensor. Understanding the orientation of the clip to pull on is the key to being able to remove it while not looking at it :)

Here's a picture after I removed it. This is the orientation under the battery tray, so you have to pull the black clip out from the top, right where it meets the tray. This is the reverse of most clips, in which the clip to pull away is facing away from the device itself, if that makes sense.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil Suspension Coil spring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Indeed, the retaining clip can be on the harness or the component depending on manufacturer and application. Figuring things out by feel is a very valuable skill when it comes to working on cars! Glad you got it figured out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts