Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so it's nice to meet everyone. I wish I were joining your ranks under different circumstances, but as it is, I'm completely frustrated and deeply in hate with my XC V70. My wife and I bought the car at 40k miles. We've owned it for 2.5 years now, and the engine now sports 65k miles. Since we've owned the car, we've put at least $6k worth of repairs into the car.

The list of repairs goes something like this: replaced the ETS (Electronic Throttle System), replaced the fuel pump (which enlightened me to the lack of thoughtful engineering that went into this car; the drive train had to be taken down and the tank dropped to change a fuel pump - RIDICULOUS), replaced the turbo, and replaced the oil pump.

The most recent catastrophe was when our oil pressure light came on, a high whiny noise started coming out of the engine, and smoke started pouring out of the back. Well, we pulled the car over and had it towed to the neares shop. They said it was the bad turbo. We had them replace the turbo. They called back and said the turbo was replaced, but the oil light was still on, and they believed we just needed to replace the engine because of excessive sludge buildup in the engine. Needless to say, I immediately distrusted them and have the car at a Volvo repair shop now. My wife and I haven't let more than 5k miles go by between oil changes and we actually got the engine flushed when we first bought it. Anyway, we have it at a local Volvo repair shop now and they haven't done any better. They have replaced the oil relay unit and took the oil pan off to check the seals. Nothing new to report - we still have a oil light that won't go away.

Which leads me to the following. I got on the internet today and put in the words Engine Flush into Google. And lo and behold I find something called a Bilsten Engine Flush system. It claims that it can flush the sludge out of your engine and restore it to a near pristine state. So I've called around to various dealerships and everyone seems to be aware that these machines exist. Which makes me think that the mechanics I've been dealing with are scum because they claim you can't flush out the engine sludge. Does anyone know if the mecahanics are right? I have to either think the mechanics know about these flushing machines and didn't say anything because they don't think the machines work or they know about the machines and didn't say anything because they just want to suck the money out of my billfold.

Which leads to the last part of this rant. My wife and I have already bought a 2005 Honda Pilot with a 7 year extended warranty. So all we want to do now is get the oil light to go off and sell the car to CarMax. Has anyone ever heard of the Bilstein Engine Flush System (or a competing device) and would recommend it for this situation? And also, is the problem I'm having with this car common among XC V70s, and is there any recourse for getting reimbursed for all of these repairs? It just boggles my mind that a car with so few miles on it could have so many problems. If someone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks everyone.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have through time heard of the machines but never seen them at any dealers.
Most of the dealers are just starting to use the transmission fluch machines that have been out for many years.
I have heard of people putting in additives and running the car and then changing the oil.

Did they happen to give you oil pressure readings?
I hope they checked all the seals when they had the pan out.
On your car there should be 5 o-rings.
Is the car making a tapping noise now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the swift reply.

About the oil pressure readings, the first shop that said we needed a new engine said the pressure reading was well below normal at 30 psi. The second shop took the reading and said it was completely normal (I think around 70-80 psi but not sure). I believe I mentioned the car is a turbo.

And the second place took off the oil pan and checked the seals. I will call them back to double check but they said everything was fine with the seals.

The car is not making a tapping noise right now. At the first shop, it was making a whirring noise right above the CVVT compartment. At the second shop, they claim it's no longer making that noise.

It's pretty hard to know who to believe. I really feel like someone or everyone is shafting me at this point.

I don't know if you have any means of finding out about that engine flushing system, but if you have anyone you could ask, I'd appreciate it very much.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry but I don't have anyone to ask at this time.
If the oil pressure appears to be normal there might be sludge in there that should come out with a good flush.The oil pressure should be min. at idle 14.5 psi 50.8 at 4100 rpm min. Oil light should go off at about 9 PSI.If it as more that 9 PSI at idle it should be off.
Has anyone tryed a new sensor?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, they tried a new oil light sensor, but that didn't do the trick.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your reference material for the stats on oil pressure? Is there an online reference where you can easily look up these facts?
Thanks again.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sorry it was not from an online source.It is from a small Volvo manual that I have.
We call them cheater books.They are pocket data books.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, but it was close to the same story. I should probably send that guy a note and see how his situation turned out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts