Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. my 1995 960 has a pronounced whine when accellerating and when cruising at about 100k. at 120 it stops. any ideas. thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Does it do it more when it is cold then stops when the car warms up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying tech. it happens all the time when i accelerate and when cruising at about 110k or so but stops completely at about 125-130. bu the way i still have the raw gas smell. i took it to a dealer who looked at it and found nothing obvious. wanted me to leave it but had no idea how long it would take. I bought an air freshener. regards

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have you had the timing belt and other parts replaced lately?

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a Volvo Tech I have found that alot of times the tensoner pulley is at fault. This can also be very dangerous as if this pulley fails the timing belt will surely break causing extensive damage. Alot of times it sounds like the serp belt tensioner, however it is more sever.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(volvotek @ Sep 24 2005, 03:00 PM)As a Volvo Tech I have found that alot of times the tensoner pulley is at fault. This can also be very dangerous as if this pulley fails the timing belt will surely break causing extensive damage. Alot of times it sounds like the serp belt tensioner, however it is more sever.
[snapback]15774[/snapback]​

Thats what I was trying to get to Thanks for suggesting it first.

Thats why I was asking the Quiestions I asked first.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Just one question, guys (Tech and Volvotek):

If it has escalated to the point of making a whining noise, don't you think it has passed the red-zone threshold mark already?

My tech here told me when I agreed to change mine last month that as a rule of thumb, you should change the tensioner every 2 times you change the timing belt.

Is that OK?
Thanks...

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That was the rule I was going by.I inspect them everytime I do the belts.
If it looks like grease is starting to come out of the bearing I will change it.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Sep 29 2005, 07:41 AM)That was the rule I was going by.I inspect them everytime I do the belts.
If it looks like grease is starting to come out of the bearing I will change it.
[snapback]15926[/snapback]​

Either the grease as in above or the free-play is limited / stucked, right?

OK, thanks, dude!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi tech. i had the timing belt checked and it is fine. replaced the other belt just to be safe. the gas smell is my main problem but so far so good. regaurds. jha

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is the smell of petrol while driving an indication of an engine running a little rich?

Also, where exactly does this whine sound like it's coming from?

If it's more of whine than a screech, and your car is an auto, check your transmission fluid.
Drain a little out, if it looks brown and cloudy this is a sign of water absorbed in the fluid, and without attention can cause this noise (whine).

You may need to do several changes before your fluid returns to a healthy clear red.

Stu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts