Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 S60 and I just had HID lights installed, the only problem is that the computer in the car doesn't recognize these lights so I have a flashing message that my headlights aren't working. I called the dealer and they said that there is no reset and that as long as I have these lights in my car then the light will be on. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a way to fix it? Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did the dealer upgrade the software in the car when they installed them.Then the computer would know there was HID lights in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Thank you for responding. They weren't dealer installed. When I called the dealer to ask why I was getting the message they said it was because of the new headlights. They basically said there was nothing I could do. I find that hard to believe. I'll call them again on Monday and ask about upgrading my software and see what they say. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Let me know how you make out.If there is really nothing they can do contact the company you bought them from.Ask them if they have any suggestions about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey diane,
i think tech is right. these new volvos run on computers & any new installations, esp mechanical & electrical, require software downloading. heck, even when i had to change the rearview mirror on my 2001 S60 2.0T, this had to be done at the dealer. the upside to this is that, i know for sure the mirror will work like it should, which incidentally, it does. so i'm afraid you have no choice but to get the job done at the dealer. good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, the HID lights are 35W. The normal Hallogen lights are 55W/60W.
The error messege you get is due to the fact that the computer recognise differece with the resistance of the lights.
There is a resistor pad which is connected to the main switch of the lights (near the fuse box). using a 2 Millimeter drill, make a small hole in this resistor, that will remove the extra resistance from the resistor and notify the computer that the lights send are sending back the correct current values.

Regards, Raviv

2006 XC90 Executive D5 Geartronic
2001 S60 2.4T SE geartronic

2000 S40 2.0T Sport Automatic

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is the best solution when you install HID lights / our Xenon conversion HID kit in your Volvo S60/V70N/S80 and want the WARNING eliminated on the dashboard display. HID lamps draw less current than the normal 55W bulb - therefore setting on the warning message on the dashboard display.
see here...should help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts