Volvo Owners Forum banner

Hi, This Site Looks Nice!

845 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ampangbear 
#1 ·
Hi,

My name is Ken, and I just registered today. I currently own a 93' 940 which my Wife drives. I also have a 90' 740 that will be junked soon. If anyone needs any parts, let me know.

I just posted a question about the AC in my wifes 940, and figured that I should give a little background info on myself.

My first Volvo was a 1969 P1800S. I loved that car and had a blast with it. I am most sorry that I ever sold it. I then bought a 1966 P1800 Convertible (originally modded by Volvoville). It wasn't nearly completed and had too many parts missing, so it sat in my Moms driveway until I sold it for $1,000. I even included the brand new IPD swaybar kit and the new brake booster that I had for it. Oh well...

Way later in my life, I bought my wife the 93' 940. It replaced her 1985 Mercedes 300D that was totalled in an accident. If ever there was a worthy replacement to that M/B diesel, this car is it! Overall it is great and she loves it.

I drive from Long Island into New York City (Queens) for work everyday (M-F) so I kill cars rather quickly. I drove that '90 740 GL for 2yrs until tranny problems took it out of the game. It worked well and I didn't HATE working on it (unlike any Ford product I have owned). The tranny wouldn't shift out of first gear one night while I was leaving work (at midnight in the middle of winter). I got it to shift by the time I got to the parkway (whew!). I am guessing that a problem in the tailshaft was messing with the governor because on my way home I heard parts ricocheting off the bottom of the car
(must have been the tailshaft bearing spitting its rollers out!). But it got me home (a quick peek revealed fluid coming from the tailshaft housing). So, it now sits in my driveway with me picking parts from it for my wifes car and it acting as a shed until I junk it (soon).

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for all of the kind welcomes. As for the fate of my 740, I have driven many another car into the ground (kinda how the cobbler shoes always look the worst) I string them along with minimal investment until the day comes to replace them. I see that I forgot to mention that I was an auto-mechanic for about 10 years until I got a job with the NYC TA (Transit Authority) as a Bus mechanic. My first location was in Brooklyn just over 49miles door-to-door. I might add that 100 miles of driving in NY each day is quite possibly different then in other places. Road conditions and driving habits (hey, it's NY, you just have keep up or be eaten alive). I am a bit closer now, only driving about 70-75 miles each day. That 740 was my #2 favorite commuter car. My 1980 BMW 320is was the first. Both were great, but the BMW with its 5 speed could make the drive home almost entertaining (I worked from 4pm to midnight and just recently went back to those hours).

Anyway, I still have around another 15 years to go until retirement (I am now a Supervisor for the Bus Maintenance dept.). My simple philosophy is: 1 month of relatively trouble free service for every $100 spent on an auto. I don't count normal maintenance or 'wear' items as 'trouble'. I figure that I will never get a 'NEW' car, because I would have to keep it forever to get my moneys worth from it. One to Two thousand dollar cars seem to be the best (although this cheapo $750 car I am in now, doesn't owe me a dime anymore).

I have been considering getting my Wife a newer car, but it really isn't necessary at this time. I have also been thinking about getting myself another P1800 as a 'project car', but I haven't been to serious about that either.

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing, it is quite entertaining...

Say, since you work with
and busses alike, mind sharing your thoughts as well, in the forums?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.