Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people just signing in to this great forum. Bought my 1998 (S) v40 1.9td a couple of weeks ago getting used to the thing now. Found it a bit sluggish at first but tried to drive it like my Corolla totally different drive!!!!! found MPG a bit poor to start but since driving it it seems to be getting better??? must have been the Vicar who last owned it only doing 30mph everywhere!! anyhow if anybodys got any tips on owning please mail me cheers Jez

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi from a fellow UK-based V40er! Mine's a petrol but have done hundreds of thousands of miles in diesels (drive a company Vauxhall Signum 2.2 TD at the moment), so do shout if you have any questions.

If MPG is poor suggest you check tyre pressures, remove any un-needed weight in the boot, roof racks etc., ensure engine oil is changed regularly & of good quality, check condition of air-filter and add some diesel-injector cleaner to the fuel tank.

Other than that, biggest factors will be driving style, traffic conditions/types of road/length of journey and whether you use the air-con system - until engine is completely warmed-up it uses 2 to 3 times the fuel it normally would, so short journeys use loads of fuel, cause lots of wear & tear and are v.v. environmentally unfriendly. Using air-con increases fuel consumption by at least 10%.

Enjoy the V40 - it's a great car.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Welcome, Jez...

There a lot if info in the V40 Forum...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts