Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with a 1998 Volvo V70 wagon -- at highway speed, the "hesitates, stumbles, or stutters" a few times -- as if it suddenly isn't getting enough fuel. No code is showing up in the computer. I have had 4 mechanics look at the car & try several fixes (e.g., new coil) and even had the 60K Mile Service redone. There was some oil in the spark plug housing at one point, and this was supposedly fixed. I have even tried putting in Fuel Injector Cleaner. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Checked Evap Value (emission control) because a missing gas cap can cause this code to activate in computer
Checked for bad O2 Sensor
Coil Arching (fires the plugs)? Tried new coil
Checked Spark Plugs Bad? Did complete 60K mile service
Later, Volvo found oil in housing for spark plugs; fixed ring / seal & replaced plugs and wires again
Checked battery ground wire
Put Fuel Injector Cleaner in gas tank

Any suggestions on other areas to check? Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There could be a bad spot in the throttle position sensor.
Could be a bad mass flow sensor.
Could be a bad engine speed sensor.

Could be many other things as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine does the same thing, until I clean the throttle body with CARB cleaner. It eventually acts up again, but is a good temp fix (about 3 months), in my opinion.

I have been told that early V70's have bad (and should be recalled) throttle bodies. I think that most likely is your problem too, but I am by no means an expert.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(Radio Flyer @ Nov 18 2005, 10:46 PM)Mine does the same thing, until I clean the throttle body with CARB cleaner. It eventually acts up again, but is a good temp fix (about 3 months), in my opinion.

I have been told that early V70's have bad (and should be recalled) throttle bodies. I think that most likely is your problem too, but I am by no means an expert.
[snapback]18895[/snapback]​

The 1998's don't have the electronic throttle body's. They are a little different to DIAG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts