Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I am about to buy a second-hand S40 during the next month or so. Out here in South Africa, the price of even a 5-year-old S40 can be half the price of a studio apartment. So it is a big financial decision for a Joe Average like me. I need some info to help me make a good choice:

My budget dictates that I buy a model from 2000 to 2003. I am looking for a Manual Transmission S40. I have the following questions:

Are there any major differences/advances between the models of these years?

Is there any one year that had particular gremlins/problems I should look out for?

Any advice about whether it's worth going for a high-pressure or low pressure turbo or whether the turboless is fine? What will I be missing if I don't get a T or a T4?

Are there optional extras that are really useful/handy/attractive/enhancing that I should look out for in the cars I view?

Most second-hand cars in my range have between 100000km and 150000km on the clock. You occasionally find one of 80000km or even 60000km. What sort of mileage should I look for? When do maintenance costs really start escalating? Are there any standard services in the Volvo's life that are really a big cost? E.g. at a certain mileage is there a costly overhaul that needs to be done? What sort of mileage should I restrict myself to in the cars I short-list? What sort of life can a properly serviced S40 expect before maintenance becomes really costly?

Any other advice for a first-time S40 buyer? You can also e-mail me direct: - [email protected]

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey there ! im very new to this volvo scene too but all i can say is that i have recently bought a 2001 s40...with around 60,000km on it. it is a 1.8 manual. i believe it is the basic/standard model. it drives like a dream. im glad to have got an engine a small as that as quite often they are a lot larger but i do a lot of city driving and with the high cost of petrol here in ireland it is a large enough engine !! as for safety...well i havnt crashed it yet ha ha but it does handle well on the roads...thats enough for now. and also it is very comfortable to drive..i suffer from bad back and the seats in it are very comfortable and basically do whatever you want ! if you can afford it go for it...and i would also think that a second hand volvo will be a good buy beacuse the majority of volvo owners are careful drivers anyway and im sure look after their prized cars....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hi there. I am not new to Volvos but am new to the classic 40 series - I have just bought a July 2002 V40 to replace the August 1994 440, delivery late next week.

As many would, I have done a fair bit of reading-up before making the investment & whilst in no way putting down the original phase I, I decided to go for a phase II model (May 2000 onwards I believe). Various changes were made on phase II including longer wheelbase & wider track/revised front suspension set-up, to improve ride comfort & handling.

Around May 2002 40s got a "facelift". Various info. available on the Web - the following link is as good a place to start as any:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carrevie...x?model_id=1064

Of course I have researched UK models, not sure whether changes introduced on same dates worldwide. I am sure that other members - with far more 40 series experience & expertise than me - will be able to tell you what to look out for. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I own a 1998 S40 T4 and it's a great car. The only thing I would say is that the ride is very firm, so if you plan on drivie on any roads that aren't well tarmac'ed you might find it not so comfortable, having said that the seats are excellent and give good support.

I've heard the Phase II models are an improvement, but my car seems very well put together (with the exception of a boot lock problem) and it handles well. It is also extremely fast, having not driven any other S40's I can't comment on their performance, but it is by far the fastest car I have owned.

If you use Air-con which I imagine you might, you can expect 28-30 mpg on a long run.

Hope this is helpful. Mine has done 60,000 miles and drives like new. Providing the car has been well maintained, in my experience all volvo's will survive astronomical mileages.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you People. I have finally bought a car which I will be receiving tomorrow. In the rnd I went for an S60 and not an S40. It is an Oct 2001 S60 T5 and I think it is a great car. Will report back once I have it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!! GO AND BUY A BIKE , A KIDS WAGON , A ROUND ROCK ANYTHING!!!!! I HAVE HAD THIS P.O.S. FOR NEARLY 4 YRS AND DUMPED MORE MONEY INTO FIXING THIS SH-TBOX THAN THE 2 750IL BMWS I OWN AND A MERCEDES AND HAVE PUT NEARLY 175K ON THEM IN THE SAME TIME!!!! FRONT END ,ENGINE, SEVERAL SETS OF BRAKES ,STRUTS ,ROTORS, REAR SPRINGS, EATRS LIGHT BULBS LIKE A KID IN A CANDY STORE AND NOW THE TRANS JUST TOOK A SH-T!!! AND IT ONLY HAS 123K MILES!!! Volvo's used to be great cars, had several when i was younger... Ford killed them all... i would not have another one of these if you gave it to me!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts