Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a brand new Volvo owner (just took delivery last night) and while it was love at first sight with this car I already have my first problem with it. :-(

The "check brake light" comes on every time I hit the brakes and I discovered that only the center brake light comes on. It seems unlikely that both brake lights are burned out and without a service manual or wiring diagrams I'm at a loss on where to start trouble shooting.

I've searched this forum and found suggestions on fuses, brake switch, etc. As far as the fuse and brake light swith go, does the fact that the center brake light comes on eliminate these two possibilities, or is the centr brake light on a completely different circuit?

Any ideas? This is not how I imagined starting my honeymoon with this car.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
The very first thing to do is look at the rear brake light bulbs on each side.
My wife's 01 S-60 needed to have every light in the car replaced (front and rear)to get rid of the messages, and most of the bulbs were good enough to light. Volvo did this under warranty. You could have burned out bulbs.
Just to make you feel better, with only 500 miles on the car we had to take it back to get the rear main seal replaced, I didn't like the puddle of oil on my garage floor!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had to change the parking and brake bulbs (all of them!) on my preowned 02 S 60.
Bulb is burning out slowly, emiting light is slowly going down. My computer displyed the warning message for two weeks - all lights were still on. So, I changed first piece of totaly burned bulb on gas station. Computer shows the same message... another bulb has gon. I bought the second one, installed it, another one has given up the ghost. Third visit of the shop in 5 min. - cashier smiles a little bit. 4-th bulb!!! So I got next 4 bulbs (cashier widely smiling :)))) changed next 3 pieces, one saved as the spare one. Probably the shaking of the plastic body of the light base was the reason, why lights has gon each after each :-( That's my expirience. I feel like the donkey...
...and onother sggestion, check the side parking lights. They are in the lower lights group, no one expect the problem there, it's hard to detect the problem there.
Have a nice day.
J.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same problems and I have found that the quality of the bulb makes a difference. The ones you pick up at the gas station as replacement seem to have a low resistivity and causes the message intermittently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts