Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, please bear with me as this is my first post.

I have a 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T and a few days ago my low beams quit on me. They were on when I drove home from work one day, and then they weren't the next. I got the message "Bulb Failure - Dipped Beams"

I checked my fuses first, all fine, then I checked the bulbs, they seemed fine, but I replaced them just to make sure. Still nothing.

So I checked out this forum and several others and read that it may be my CEM - apparently there's a problem where it overheats and starts to melt. I searched some more and found a schematic showing where the CEM is - I then crammed myself under my steering column and pulled it during lunch and sure enough, pin 2 is burned and the plastic has begun to melt onto the pin. I tried to clean off what I could and put it back, still no luck.

I then called my local Volvo dealer and talked to some guy in the parts department. At first he had no idea what I was talking about, then he started to catch on and thumbed through a catalog for a good 15 minutes (not exactly confidence inspiring...) - then he quoted me $592.00! For the part! Then I have to pay between $30-45 for a download? Then I have to pay for some guy in the service department to plug the **** thing in (which I just did in my shirt and tie during my lunch break)?

Please tell me he was wrong...

I'm going to try another Volvo dealer (slightly further away) and see if someone there is more knowledgeable. Thank you in advance.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts