Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is willing to give a 1990 Volvo 740 GL to my son, but it needs to be fixed. She had originally thought it was the transmission, but I don't think so after listening to it today. The last time she drove it, the RPM's were racing which lead her to believe that it wasn't changing gears.

The problem is, the idle is extremely high. We have lowered her as much as it can be lowered. Most of the time it's like someone is pushing the gas and then releasing the gas, pushing the gas and releasing the gas....... over and over and over. The RPM's are EXTREMELY high.

If it's not revving back and forth, then it just sits and revs. Sometimes it'll rev back and forth in Park, but the next time it doesn't. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Is there a sensor or something?? Please help guide me as to what to check before I make any decisions as I'm female and don't need to get ripped off at the garage, but also don't want to get my son a piece of **** even if it's free.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Free??
You better take this car!!!!!Lucky!!!
How many miles are on it?
Even if you have to spend like $500 to fix it ...it is worth it.
This is one of the best year/models Volvo has ever made!!!
These cars are very reliable and sounds like you have a common, easy to fix problem.
Get it checked out and pick it up!!!
Wish someone would give me a 740!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep........ FREE! But I really want an idea on the problem. The only other thing wrong is it has an exhaust leak and I don't mind paying to have that fixed..... but it's the "unknown" that scares me with that crazy idle.

What exactly is a throttle body? LOL! Sorry........ but I like to act like i know what I'm talking about when talking to mechanics.

The car has a 130,000 miles on it which ain't nothing for a Volvo! I have heard they are great cars, but what I'm hearing you say is that the 740's are the best?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What I'm saying is that the 90's 740s are the best 740s as far as reliability and long running.
There are more experienced members here who can tell you about surging idles and throttle bodies.......a common easy to fix problem on these Volvos.
Even if you need a new exhaust, it is still, in my opinion, worth it to pick this car up.....since it is free!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It probaly only needs a new airmass meter. This measures the amount of air feed to the engine so the computer can add the proper amount of fuel. sounds like its sending incorrect signals. You did not mention if the check engine lamp was on. If it is that would be the first place to start by reading the relevant codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take the car for goodness sake The little bit of money you put into to will be well worth it. just look at the resale prices on these things in Minnesota your hard pressed to find a good 740 for less then 2500.00 I saw one at a dealer about four months ago with 230000 miles on it they where asking 4600.00 get your son the car and if doesn't want it There is a guy in Minnesota who will take off your hands LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts