Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody Help?.2000 V40 SE Mitsubishi 18i Engine.
When driving at any speed the engine revs will just suddenly drop and then recover, causing lots of fun when crawling in traffic.The engine managment light thinks it a indicator, on for a few days and then switchs off.Generally it runs like a bag of nails, the emisons fail the MOT test and finally it
eats Headlamps and tail lamps.
Volvo Dealer Recomendations after resetting EM light was to replace the Lamba sensor, its had two in two years. Any ideas !

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could very well be bad o2 sensors.Has the car had a software update lately?Have you had the plugs changed lately?Have the coils been inspected lately?

The light bulb issue is pretty much like that with all the newer Volvo's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a Volvo V40 1.8 SEi with a Mitsubishi lean burn engine in March 1999. At the 2000k service in August 2000 I reported a slight hesitation/misfire in the ignition system, though the service reported no fault codes recorded. There was a further report in March 2001 when the car was kept for a couple of days; again no fault codes recorded. I reported the problem at each subsequent service but it was not always reported back on.

In August 2003 I emailed Volvo UK requesting any information about cars with similar faults only to be referred back to my dealer.

In December 2003 the dealer had the car for four days and reported that all adjustments were correct and all sensors were within tolerances, and that it was simply a peculiarity of the engine.

Having previously contacted Volvo, I wrote again expressing my disappointment at the results.

The dealer contacted me in January 2004 informing me that they had contacted Volvo, who had suggested that the engine could be in need of a decoke and that was going to cost between £1,800 and £2,400 with no guarantee that this would cure the problem and that I would have to find 60% of this cost in spite of reporting the matter to them during the early part of the warranty period.

I would be grateful for any information if you are aware of similar problems with this type of engine and any advice you are able to provide on my warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is a common problem with that model engine then you can be sure Volvo know's about it in their warranty statistics. It may be that this engine has a propensity to accumulate carbon, in which case there is no point in cleaning it. Better to punt it and get something more reliable.
I would insist on getting your information from Volvo powertrain in Sweden. The service centres are not a place to get straight answers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Nugget606 @ May 31 2005, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I purchased a Volvo V40 1.8 SEi with a Mitsubishi lean burn engine in March 1999. At the 2000k service in August 2000 I reported a slight hesitation/misfire in the ignition system, though the service reported no fault codes recorded. There was a further report in March 2001 when the car was kept for a couple of days; again no fault codes recorded. I reported the problem at each subsequent service but it was not always reported back on.

In August 2003 I emailed Volvo UK requesting any information about cars with similar faults only to be referred back to my dealer.

In December 2003 the dealer had the car for four days and reported that all adjustments were correct and all sensors were within tolerances, and that it was simply a peculiarity of the engine.

Having previously contacted Volvo, I wrote again expressing my disappointment at the results.

The dealer contacted me in January 2004 informing me that they had contacted Volvo, who had suggested that the engine could be in need of a decoke and that was going to cost between £1,800 and £2,400 with no guarantee that this would cure the problem and that I would have to find 60% of this cost in spite of reporting the matter to them during the early part of the warranty period.

I would be grateful for any information if you are aware of similar problems with this type of engine and any advice you are able to provide on my warranty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts