Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello yesterday i went to warm up my1989 240dlwagon and i cranked the defrost up the blower was going but it wasn't defrosting my winshield. instead i wound up with a lot of moisture in my car. i put on the heater that is working fine! i thought i smelt some anti freeze smell ,i looked under my car but saw no leaking? insted i saw a hose that came off from somewhere it wasn't a rubber hose it was a metal or aluminum type hose rusted. i hope that this is the problem just a hose or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 28 2004, 01:46 AM)Sounds like your heater core is starting to leak.
[snapback]1911[/snapback]​

tech i think your right !!! i see some anti freeze coming out of the engine area! and a broken seal. what sould i do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 2 2005, 10:40 PM)Is it coming from the firewall?
[snapback]2020[/snapback]​

hi tech it was not by the fire wall but near the front of the engine buy the fan.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds like the water pump then.If you are low on coolant the heat will not work properly.The water pumps are pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 28 2004, 01:46 AM)Sounds like your heater core is starting to leak.
[snapback]1911[/snapback]​

look under hood for a vacum leak hose runs from intake to vacum tank on pass side kick panel

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(thomas gonzalez @ Dec 27 2004, 08:26 AM)hello yesterday i went to warm up my1989 240dlwagon and i cranked the defrost up the blower was going but it wasn't defrosting my winshield. instead i wound up with a lot of moisture in my car. i put on the heater that is working fine! i thought i smelt some anti freeze smell ,i looked under my car but saw no leaking? insted i saw a hose that came off from somewhere it wasn't a rubber hose it was a metal or aluminum type hose rusted. i hope that this is the problem just a hose or something.
[snapback]1902[/snapback]​

Tom,
You may have a couple of problems ... first if the air flow is very weak or non existant from the defroster vents when defrost is selected, you likely have a vacuum line leak. The door that opens the ducting to allow air to flow to the defrost vents is operated by engine vacuum. Most commonly when this happens the end of the vacuum line that feeds the heater/defroster controls which is in the engine bay, has cracked, split or become disconnected. You can easily check and often fix this line by opening the hood .... standing on the passeneger side of the engine bay look for a thin rubber vacuum line that runs from connection(s) up on the intake manifold back to the firewall where it runs into the passenger compartment in the footwelll on the passenger side. The engine end of that line often gets baked by engine heat and splits or breaks at it's connection points. When that happens you lose vacuum on the line and the defrost vent doors won't open and you won't get much, if any defrost air flow. Find the split end and you can often cut it back to remove the split, reconnect it and that will restore the vacuum seal. This takes longer to explain than to do and if it's your problem the fix is done in two minutes and you'll get your defrost air flow back. Also check your coolant level if you smell anti-freeze. If it's low check for leaks. That hose you spotted in the engine bay ... is it a large diameter, kind of corrugated aluminum pipe? If so it's the preheater hose which feeds warm air from the area of exhaust manifold to the air box when ambient temps dropped below 60 degrees F. It's for the engine air intake and has no relationship or effect on the cabin heating. Hope this helps. For a lot more Volvo repair info and a bunch of very good Brick owners check out brickboard.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts