Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '94 850 wagon and my fan has just quite working completely, nothing happens on any position. my question is should i assume that the motor has died or could i check out other possibilities before replacing the blower?
thanks
andrew

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the time the blower motor resistor goes bad and burns up the blower motor.
I would start with checking for power at the blower motor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah check the fuses, that's what happened to me, would'nt work, bought a new one and that one did'nt work either, so I finally checked the fuse and guess what!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
checked the fuses today, found one bad ( speed 4 for the blower ) and the other was still working. replaced the bad one but still no go on the fan. seems logical to check the blower next, but would appreciate any more tips. thanks
andrew

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I had one at work today the fuse was blown.Tryed a new fuse blew it again.Then unplugged the blower motor and the fuse didn't blow.That tells you that the blower motor is bad.

Try checking the fuse again.If it is blown unplug the fan and try again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check the blower resistor before you start replacing your fan. The problem could be two fold. As the fan gets older and doesn't work as well it will or can blow the resistor. That may be all you need to do, however if the fan is getting tired and dosen't spin you will need to replace it as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well if you need a new motor blower, check ebay first, before you go to the dealer, I bought one off of it the other day, paid like $40.00 for it, and it works great, just a tip to save some money.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If it blows the fuse 99.9% of the time the blower motor is bad.
The resistor does go as well.
I always like to replace both to save a lot of headaches.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
If you could take and post photos, it would be great. If not, then don't worry about it.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I just had one apart on thursday but forgot the digital camera.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Arg.

Missed.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
No worries, pal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The fan on my 94 850 wagon work most of the time but is intermittent.
It has the climate control system not the standard heater controls.

It almost always starts when you turn on the ignition but may stop shortly after. It seems that if I set the speed control slider part way up and wait for 10 minutes then turn it higher it is OK. If it starts out on fast speed it will stop a few seconds later and the only way to get it going again is to pull over to the side of the road, turn off the ignition and try again.

My question is how to I get to the fan motor to check power at that point and what is in between the climate control computer and the motor. Obviously the climate control computer has no wiring or circuitry powerful enough to run a fan motor. There has to be an electronic speed control of some sort buried somewhere.

Thank you in advance,

Del Schier

QUOTE(cooley2001 @ Jul 5 2005, 06:13 PM)i have a '94 850 wagon and my fan has just quite working completely, nothing happens on any position. my question is should i assume that the motor has died or could i check out other possibilities before replacing the blower?
thanks
andrew
[snapback]10926[/snapback]​

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the advise!

I don't think the motor has a resistor. The climate control system has continuously variable fan speed, it is not in steps as with resistor taps. Perhaps it is a transistor or FET but it cannot be a resistor or resistors.

I would like to know where the electronic speed control is? I am sure it is not in the dashboard control panel.

How do I get to the motor? I have had the glove box out and cannot see it.

Years ago I repaired the heating fan motor on my 245 wagon. What a project! The steering wheel was off and the dash was in a million peices.

Del Schier

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The blower motor is behind the glove box.Look for a a black peice close top the side firewall.The resistor is to the left of the blower motor.It works for all speeds but on high.High speed is full 12 Volts.

If it starts when you first start the car then stops I bet the lights flash.
Then if you have a scanner to read the codes it would give you a code for the blower motor.The blower motor is pulling to many amps and the module turns it off and sets a code.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Flashing lights on your airco/ECC meen mostly:

1. The temp-sensors have stopped working
2. The fuse has been fried
3. The heaterfan has got jammed (automatically)

How to solve this (temporarily):
1. Take a compressor and a airhose. The temp-sensors in the 850 are hidden behind the handles at the top of the frontdoors. It is a small square piece a plastic with a round opening in it, behind it there is a small fan (temp-sensor) which most likely got blocked by dust and dirt (if not fried).
Blow some compressorair through the opening to clean it up.
Mostly airco/ECC works again for some time!
2. Change fuse.
3. When the heaterfan gets stuffed with dirt it's bearing will turn heavier. Because of this, it will use more power to go around. At some point the computer says: This is enough, bring in the error-lights, no turning fan for this car!
Solution: break open the glove box, pull out the heaterfan and clean it with alcohol, make sure it turnes like new again! At some point this will not be working no more and there needs to found a replacing fan. Instead of a complete new heaterfan from the local Volvodealer, you could take it to a local Bosch-service, they deliver the engine of this fan and most of the time they can replace it as well for a spare one!! Saving a lot of money!!

If you have had the lights that where flashing, let your volvodealer read out and clear the OBD(2) system!

Want some pictures though?

Well here they come (random order).

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2000 V70 with same problem, blinking lights on recirculation and AC buttons. Fan started roaring for a while, then stopped completely except for two seconds after starting car.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the blower and resistor?

Any ideas on a good place to order them in the U.S.?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts