Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have had it I have A 88 740T with a sagging headliner I have tried spray adhesives, double sided tape and now thumb tacks just so I can see out the back window I have a Power sunroof and i am wondering can I just cut the stupid thing out and have a replacement made at a later date. with this thing gone will it be easier to find out why my sunroof leaks only in the car wash?

·
Registered
143 Posts
VolvoDave - I hear you. Yes, you can just cut it out, but then you'll get that orange crud (the ineffective foam/adhesive that's underneath the headliner) covering everything in the car. I priced a replacement job at $350, including the sunroof, but haven't gotten it done yet. There's a discussion on headliners from a couple of months ago that will let you know that you're not alone -- pretty much all of the 740s from our era have had this happen. It's the one ugly part of a great car. Good luck!
Ed

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Aside from thumb-tacks (that have short legs) try using the longer pins and pinned them down almost horizontally to keep the roof linings in place.

But if they are really that dangerous that they disturb your view of the rear, then cut it off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used a adhesive by 3M that says it is made specifically for head liners.READ the can I bought the wrong one first and it lost holding power in the heat of the summer in a parked car.The can labeled in small writing states it will work for this application,andit does.I did scrap all the foam crap off and bought headliner material from a fabric store.I did break the cardboard form when removing from the car.(I don't know how they got it in there?)I just taped the break.It held fine.As far as the sunroof,good luck I dismantled most of it and got parts of it upholstered but, the headliner material is thinner for this app.I never could get the roof to work perfect after this.There is kits sold online at various volvo part suppliers.Good Luck it's nota quick job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm kicking around the idea of Rhino Liner for the trunk, underside of the hood and headliner...depending on cost and if it would work with the sunroof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts