Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Volvo Owners.

I'm new to your list. I have offered Q&A on the Brick Board for Years.

If theirs any Q: Related to headliner & Sunroof repair i can help you with just ask away.

This has been my Business here in Central Florida since 1978 doing Headliner & SUnroof repair on: Volvo,Saab,Jaguar,BMW,Porsche,Mercedes,Land Rover,Audi & VW all with Factory Sunroofs.

Theirs is Correct Thickness Materail which is 1/8th as Original and their is Wrong thickness Materail which is 1/4 inch.

1/8th inch as Original is designed for any Automobile "with Factory Sunroofs"

Most shops ( Upholstery ) ("do not work") on cars like yours because of your Factory Sunroof. They dont even have the Original 1/8th materail to offer you, but they do a good job on their sales presentation and get you to OK the 1/4 inch materail because in their 30 years of business they have not had any problems using it.

Thats a True or Correct Statment for their shop

BUT

Your the one thats going to have the problems from using the 1/4 inch NOT the ( Upholstery Shop )

#1) 1/4 Materail will force your Dome Light Out because the Thickness is to great !

#2) Your plastic Visors will not totally be allowed to fully retract back into the Headliner Board because the materail is to thick !

#3) The plastic Binding around the Opening of the sunroof will be pushed up just about a 1/8th inch in height against the sunroof panel which already is touching the plastic binding and will applie additional stress to your Sunroof Motor & Plastic Gears ( yes even Hand Cranks will have issues).

#4) Using 1/4 inch Materail is Great for covering Broken Headliner Boards and any other damage that may exist.

#5) 1/8th inch is harder to install because if the Board is not in Good shape the 1/8th in as original will pickup the damage and will be seen on the finish product.

#6) Using 1/4 inch in your sunroof ( 740 or 850 ) and other models will cause Selector gate issues,Additional Stress on Electrical motors and could stretch Sunroof cables to the point they are not able to be timmed without replacment all because the ( Upholstery shop ) said they have not had any issues using the 1/4 materail.

#7) Your interior will no longer have Volvo Great Lines, it now will look big and Puffy.

#8) 1/4 inch materail has about 100 different colors to offer and the Texture or Grain of the materail looks big and puffy in your car ( again not designed for your car )

#9) With Sunroof models or Without sunroofs 1/8th inch is the way to go and it will have a effect on the overall value of your Volvo in the long run, When you sell your car or even if you take your Volvo to a Rally people will look into your car as see the difference of the type materail used, one will look like factory the other will look like a cheap replacment.

I could ramble on and on,

If theirs anything i can do to help , just ask.

Bill Stauffer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the forum too. Seems like owners of 1980's Volvo's have headliner cloth falling down. My wife says it is a little hard to drive so I need to do something. How does one take out the headliner? Are special tools required to remove trim etc? I can recover it (I have some upholstery experience and understand the 1/8"-- 1/4" info--thanks) if I can get it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi -- I think that most of us just cut the headliner away. There are at least two other discussions on headliners in recent months (one is currently on page one; another is on page three) and it seems that nearly everyone has this problem but no one has come up with the easy solution to repair the original. Good luck, and welcome to the Forum!
Ed

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi bill! on an 88 740 Turbo sedan, supposedly the contacts need to be cleaned because the motor works intermitently.

where do I find the contacts? what do i use to clean them? if that's not the problem how hard is the motor to take out and put back in assuming I can find a replacement?

thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Alicias -- the headliners on our cars (cloth hanging from the ceiling) always fall down and have to be replaced. It was a flaw in the 80s volvos (poor adhesive, I think) and one of the annoyances on an otherwise great car -- pretty minor in the scheme of things. I can't answer your mechanical question, but you may want to start a new thread so more experienced DIYers than I could talk about headers and not skip over the topic. Good luck!

·
Registered
265 Posts
i think it was deterioration of the foam, and not the adhesive. thats just from what i remember though.

the headliner is not hard to fix...put hte passenger seat all the towards the rear as far as it goes, and tilt it back as much as possible. then you must take off all the trim, handles above the doors, visors, sunroof crank/motor plastic, the clips, the dome light, and your set to go. then you must carefully manuever the headliner ( the whole thing! ) out through the passenger side door. once out you can rip up all the old fabric and foam, and grab a wire brush and brush off all the rest of the foam thats stuck on. once done, if you need to repair any part of it, use Fibreglass Resin, as the headliner is fibreglass and this fixes it very well! After you've done that, using an aerosol can glue, like loctite spray adhesive, 3m stuff, or similar ( quality brand is better, its only like 12$ a can ) install your new headliner fabric. you can go the way with the oem-like stuff, or just use any old stuff you find. its up to you. its your car. once you've done that, just re-install it the way you got it out. and your done. DO NOT use any double sided tape, as it does not hold at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts