Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to at least replace the head gaskt on my 1991 740 non-turbo, and wanted some advice, etc. Are there Volvo specific toos required for this R&R and if so what are they? Also, this looks like a very easy job, as far as access. What can those with experience let me know?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is pretty much as straight foward as it looks.
Make sure the timing marks are lined up before you remove the belt.
You will need an angle guage when torquing the headbolts
The specs are as follows
(Stage 1) 20NM or 15 FT.LB
(stage 2) 60NM or 44 FT.LB
(Stage 3)130 degrees
Head bolts should be tightened in sequence from center outwards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. After a little research, I now know what an angle gauge is. I will buy a book before proceeding along with the gauge. I hope to find a local shop that knows Volvo heads, so they can do the rebuild. If I have it off, I might as well have it done. It needs to be inspected for warping anyway. I will also replace timing belt. Any other things to watch out for?

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thats about it.
You are right about having it checked while it is off.
While loosening the head work from inside out loosening the bolts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally have removed the head, had it surfaced to remove the warp (.018) and will reinstall the head this weekend. Intake, exhaust, and head gaskets all leaking prior to removal. I was told by the machinist these heads tend to eat gaskets. Hope this is not true. The distributor cap looks to be original. 150,000 miles or so. It was in bad shape. I will follow up on the results of my repairs, as I received the parts today from Buymbparts.com. Good prices if you are looking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts