Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we drove down to Naples, FL to see some inlaws that are here on vacation.
When we arrived and went to get into the trunk we saw lots of oil on the rear of the car.

This morning we brought it to a local garage to see if it was something serious or an o-ring or something. After cleaning it, driving it, idling, he thought at first that it may have been coming from the turbo, but then he was sure that that it is from the head gasket. Leaking like a sieve (sp). There are a few other smaller oil leaks.

He thought that it would be time to sell the car, that even if we repair the head gasket that it is the beginning of lots of problems depending on who does the head gasket.

What do you think, Tech? If it is the head gasket, what are we looking at $$ etc? I had hoped to keep this car for several more years so we could save some money toward a down payment on something else.

I haven't heard of many 850 owners mentioning head gasket repairs. Is this very common? Could he be mistaken.

I had wanted to bring it to you before making this trip...oh well.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I have really never seen the headgaskets leak oil.I have seen the Valve cover leak oil.The turbo return line leak oil.And a few other things.
Was the car running hot at all?
Does the oil look like choclate milk?
Does the repair shop work on Volvo's normally?
Did the car run any diffrent?

If for some reason it does turn out to be the headgasket(which im not sure of)
It would be worth fixing in my opinion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 440 TDi had a new head gasket, it was leaking oil into the coolant, after an overheat.

After the fix it hated starting in the morning, turns out the seals on the valve stems got damaged fixing the head gasket. Getting it fixed involves taking the head off again.

So a minimum of another £200, more like £500-600, within a month of it having a new head gasket at £500. If it got written off I would not get £500 for it.

Get a good garage to do the work for you. I have a suspicion removing the head is a bit like open heart surgery, its never the same after wards. So get a good surgeon.

I could be wrong, but that my experience.

Barmy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank for the replies.

I hadn't read of them going since I have been reading on the Brickboard for several years.

To answer your questions:
No, the car has not been running hot or over heating.

No, it didn't look like chocolate milk, just dark brown oil. My husband said it may have been. He said it appeared to be coming out of a bolt by where the exhaust manifold it located on the right side as you are looking at the car near the turbo but not coming out of the Turbo...above the turbo.

No, the repair shop doesn't normally work on Volvo's. Motorsports guy..races and builds his own rece cars...

No, it did not run any different. the only thing we noticed on the way down was the A/C fan making a noise in when in a lower position.

The coolant was low within the last couple of weeks and my husband had recently filled the reservoir. It wasn't totally empty. I assume that was unrelated.(?) Is there a way to check for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the guy back (we are still in Naples). He said it wasn't like chocolate milk..it isn't that kind of a head gasket leak. This is a straight oil leak type of head gasket leak. I still hope that it isn't the head gasket. I had the rear main seal replaced within the last few years. They had to drop the transmission to do that one. I don't know of a local indie (in our county) who really knows Volvo's or one whom I can trust.

Tech, still may try to have you check it out if I can agree on a time to do that with my husband and his schedule and yours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the cam seal near the timing chain/belt? I think we discussed that as a possible leak before or that it may be a good time to replace the timing belt if it is getting oil on it.

I am using a hotel lobby internet access right now.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is also cam seals on the back of the engine under the dist. cap and the cam sensor.
If there really isn't a drivability issue I don't think it is the head gasket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trix>The coolant was low within the last couple of weeks and my husband had recently
Trix> filled the reservoir. It wasn't totally empty. I assume that was unrelated.(?) Is
Trix> there a way to check for that.

If its drinking coolant then thats not a good sign

Barmy
--------
Jesus built my volvo ... its a love affair...
ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We will keep an eye on the coolant. It had been a long while since we had to refill the coolant. The idiot light for coolant was coming on occasionally...not staying on. I wouldn't think it is actually 'drinking' coolant. We'll see.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The drive back to our county the car leaked another quart of oil. It is messy.

Still no effect in drivability.

I looked up Volvo techs and found two in Tampa, I suppose I could try one of those. One was listed on the brickboard and the other was listed on CarTalk website. They could be recommendations or they could have listed themselves.

I don't want to put off getting this leak addressed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Brought it to an Volvo specific Indy shop in Tampa yesterday.

It wasn't the headgasket.

They are replacing the front and rear main seals. While doing the front main they are replacing the timing and tensioner belts, o-rings, oil pump seal, and a turbo hose. I was disappointed to have the rear main done again (I believe I had it done 2-3 years ago). I will pick it up sometime tomorrow.

As far as the A/C goes...the guy is saying that it was low on refrigerant and is probably the result of the replacement evap probably being an aftermarket and not OEM. That is a big disappointment. I hope it won't need to be redone. He refilled it and put in a dye. He said he has seen aftermarket evaps leak at the 'clips'. They do not line up properly.

He doesn't think that it has to do with the compressor.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
While it is interesting to read and 'learn' of the occasions, I truly dread it if it were to happen to me.

*gulp*

Hang in there, Trix.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(hellyeah @ Jun 17 2005, 02:26 PM)
I hope you had the PCV / flame trap serviced or you WILL BE blowing out the new seals!
[snapback]9912[/snapback]​

She has a vent system but no flame trap to service.The non-turbo's are the only ones with servicable flametraps.
The Vent box can clog or one of the hoses can get clogged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.