Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a 1990 740 with 2.3 litre engine and automatic transmission. I notice that the gearshift sometimes is quite hard, espessially if i drive slowly in a car-queue, and the transmission often shifts from first to second gear. Any idea what causes this?
I can see that the gearshift-knob has a small button on it's left side. I suppose this is overdrive-button. This button does not work in my car. Nothing happends when i press it, at any speed. Howewer, when i look at the rpm, the car seems to be running at highest gear in 80-100 km/h. Any idea what is wrong with my "button"?
The car also seems to be misfiring, or running rough, when it runs without load. If i press the trottle so that the engine "works" hard , it runs fine. It also runs fine when i drop the trottle, so that the engine holds back. Only when i keep the trottle steady, and the car runs "unloaded", it seems to misfire. I have changed sparks and air-filter, but with no success. Any idea what this can be? Can it be the transmission that causes this rough running?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check the adjustment of the kick down cable.Also make sure the cable isn't seized.

Also check the rest of the tune up items.Dist cap,rotor,wires,Fuel filter ETC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts