Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at purchasing a 1993 Volvo 960 and trading in our little 3 cylinder, 1990 Pontiac Firefly. We need some weight advantage. I was thinking the weight of the 6 cylinder engine would help. Is this Volvo 960 (1993) a front wheel drive, or a rear wheel drive also? We live in an area where the prevailing winds could be affective to vehicular traffic. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 960 is rear wheel drive.They handle pretty well in the wind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am used to the rear wheel drive vehicles more than anything. I retired from General Motors. I began at Buick Motor Division, Flint, MI, Aug 1965, and they were making rear wheel drive Le Sabres up to the time I transferred down to Tuscaloosa, AL to the Harrison Radiator G. M. plant there. I retired in 1998.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just drove from eastern WA to Bay Area CA and back. We got quite a bit of wind in parts of OR and I have to say that for the tank that is the 960, it still feels the wind more than you would expect. It's not too bad, but not rock solid either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings.

I've had my '94 960 since new, 181,000 miles. I've driven this car through most everything and while driving through the remenets of Hurricane Floyd across a bridge was the most intense wind I've encountered (50mph). I must say I had my hands embedded in the steering wheel, but with the relatively new rubber on the wheels, it handled quite well. You'll feel the sway, but the car tracks true.
Hint on the '93's, check the engine for leaks of antifreeze and oil. There were some manifolds that had a problem. check out this link for more info:

http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/960...fo1.html#Porous 960 B6304 Blocks

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your reply about handling in the windy conditions. I will be careful and watch for that. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts