Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
must say im impressed with the factory 4 X C.D player in my S60, think its an 803 head unit ?? not sure unless i go and look....
sounds great for a factory stereo......
first thing i did when i got the car was check out the stereo and speakers... i counted 10 speakers !!! but was puzzeled as to what the grill/ mesh which looks like a speaker grill and is located on the top center of the dash actually is????
couldnt actually hear any sound emitting from it or detect any sort of air movement??
so i decided it wasnt a speaker. then my next question was, well, if its not a speaker, what is in there???
my next thought was well, maybe there is a speaker in there but it dosent work ???

i just dont know.... surly its not an air vent or even just for trim ???
somone please put me out of my misery....

what the **** is it ???

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. I have one of these too. I think it is where you place a GPS system when you buy one.

Cars already fitted with one of these fancy gadgets have a sharks fin on the roof line above the rear window. At least, some other brands use a sharks fin.

I could be wrong too of course.

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is either for the speaker which is an option or the factory or dealer install GPS system.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
On my 05 its a speaker-part of the upgraded HU-850. All I can say is HOLY S***. Im going to be deaf before I know it. Well worth the money if your an audiophile. No Navigation on mine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Even with the GPS it is still a speaker (just a smaller grill). If you go out and purchase a CD mixed in 5.1 such as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon in SACD format you will know what that center speaker is for. Many older CD's just do not use the center channel. It is just like your home theater system. Some newer DVD's sound better on 5.1 - 8.1 than others.

Get the Pink Floyd...you'll love it

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the Pink Floyd...you'll love it

[snapback]12548[/snapback]​
[/quote]

yes my friend... im a massive floyd fan and have the new 5.1 version...along with everything else both pink floyd and roger waters have ever recorded!!! . i only use copies in the car though after a theft many years ago.... the c.ds were worth more than the car......
ill try it tomorrow....

does anyone know what a factory/dealer installed gps system would cost ???

·
Registered
261 Posts
You are probably the only other person I have ever known to have a second copy of Pink Floyd for the car. I had the same thing happen in an '81 VW Jetta. Ever since then... I keep copies in the car. Beware though.. unless you have a DVD burner, the 5.1 data will not transfer to the copies.
Its still less of a bite to lose a copy than an original copy of "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
Cheers!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am pretty certain it can be EITHER a speaker or your GPS. I recall the GPS screen comes right up the middle up the grill so I do not see how a speaker would fit in there. Also I remember that if the customer has the upgraded stereo system the speaker would need to be removed and that it was not available with the upgraded system for that reason. That was a couple of years ago so they may have changed since then. Otherwise it has nothing in there if you don't have the upgraded sound or GPS

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE(niko05 @ Aug 3 2005, 06:38 AM)You are probably the only other person I have ever known to have a second copy of Pink Floyd for the car. I had the same thing happen in an '81 VW Jetta. Ever since then... I keep copies in the car. Beware though.. unless you have a DVD burner, the 5.1 data will not transfer to the copies.
Its still less of a bite to lose a copy than an original copy of "Piper at the Gates of Dawn"
Cheers!
[snapback]12726[/snapback]​

the precious copys are my vynals........ i have got them all...... they are the gratest band ever, ive loved them since i was a child when my old man used to play them, i still do and i hope that when my son grows up, he'll enjoy them and not listen to half the ssshite kids listen to these days.
long live syd.

as for duplicate copys.... i have many of te floyds albums in multiple copys ??? due to box sets, remastered versaions and of course, the wish you were here flaming hand shake and the robot hand shake edition ..... ????? crakers i know, i just love them.
i play guitar, and their material is great to play. david gilmour is genius.

incidentally, ive just got a new copy of live in pompeii which has been digitally remastered.... sounds awsome.
did you see their reunion gig at live8....... four tracks ( i have mp3's of course) and they blew everyone elee away...... shame they didnt get on though.
roger waters is opening a new opera of his soon down in london.... ill be going to that me thinks....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was on a long journey the other day, and whilst sat in traffic, i began to mess with the stereo.............
ive not really payed much attention to it before, only messing with the bass and treble setting and plaing c.d's...........
then i noticed the 3-channel button and thought.... hello.....whats this then.... pressed it and thought hey !! that bleedin centre speakers working !!!
then i saw the dolby pro logic button and pressed it...........
my god the stereo came to life........
its awsome.........
ive never payed it any attention before as most cars that i have had just had never had it cos the where just c.d. players..... or if it was a cassette player it would have the dolby noise reduction button, but i never pressed it on them cos it made the tapes sound dull......
but this is the buisiness.........
how could i of not seen it before ......
????????????

someone shoot me.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(myzeneye @ Aug 16 2005, 07:26 PM)OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i was on a long journey the other day, and whilst sat in traffic, i began to mess with the stereo.............
ive not really payed much attention to it before, only messing with the bass and treble setting and plaing c.d's...........
then i noticed the 3-channel button and thought.... hello.....whats this then.... pressed it and thought hey !! that bleedin centre speakers working !!!
then i saw the dolby pro logic button and pressed it...........
my god the stereo came to life........
its awsome.........
ive never payed it any attention before as most cars that i have had just had never had it cos the where just c.d. players..... or if it was a cassette player it would have the dolby noise reduction button, but i never pressed it on them cos it made the tapes sound dull......
but this is the buisiness.........
how could i of not seen it before ......
????????????

someone shoot me.
[snapback]13660[/snapback]​

The sad part is how long u went without listning to music coming alive
The stereo is amazing. Ive come home a couple times, sitting in the garage with windows up, and my wife coming out to tell me to turn it down; she can hear it upstairs! I said it before and Ill say it again, Ill be deaf before I know it!

BTW, u can tweek it more with the menu/advanced menu knob.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(S60 R @ Aug 17 2005, 05:43 AM)The sad part is how long u went without listning to music coming alive
The stereo is amazing. Ive come home a couple times, sitting in the garage with windows up, and my wife coming out to tell me to turn it down; she can hear it upstairs! I said it before and Ill say it again, Ill be deaf before I know it!

BTW, u can tweek it more with the menu/advanced menu knob.
[snapback]13679[/snapback]​

jeez....more tweeking.!!!...im onto it buddy........

i know..... its realyy sad that i missed it for so long...... espeacially seen as im ushally an audiophile....... and a musician to boot.... who is always fiddeling with the stereo....
i guess its just that the system sounds so good anyways, by comparrison with systems in other cars..... my excuse is, i havent been tweaking or blasting it loud as i have a four month old son who is ushally in the back and my wife would nag me far louder and longer than any c.d i could play to "turn it down"
many years of standing in front of huge bass rigs take their toll.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(myzeneye @ Aug 17 2005, 07:26 AM)OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<snipped>

someone shoot me.
[snapback]13660[/snapback]​

Someone called for an exterminator?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts