Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off---HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM

Here is the scoop.... This is my 3rd Volvo
1. 1985 760 Turbo
2. 1988 740
3. This one is a 1988 760 Turbo wagon

I just picked her up this week and brought her home. She has 203,000 miles on her and seemed to be well maintained. I took her straight to the garage to do the usual fluid changes before I put her on the road. One thing that I noticed is that the wagon came up to temperature very quick while idling in the garage. It seemed less than 5 mins(and the temp gauge is at the 1/2 way point). I changed the thermostat and made sure the coolant was up. Maybe it was my imagination but there seemed to be a lot of pressure, by the feel of the upper hose(much more than on my other Volvos). My other 760 temp gauge never even reached the 1/2 way point, whereas this one hits that point after a few minutes of idling

THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help but...
My '89 760 GLE (B280 V6) does exactly the same thing and always has.
It gets up to temp within 5 mins of idling and stays at exactly the 1/2 marker on the temp gauge. It has never overheated and only blown one hose in the time i have owned it.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
well if you read my thread on "bypass" you will understand why pressure is high [ie riding the pump curve] at startup - and remember I said such a system would warm up faster - I am assuming your model DOES have the newer setup with no t/stat valve on heater core

so I would suspect you are comparing this volvo [operating correctly] to other volvos you have/had where the themostat was in fact leaking or with the old 3 way valve system I spoke about

main issue is where does temp STOP rising on hot day in slow traffic with AC on

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That could be normal for the guage.Almost every sending unit for the guage is different.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can't speak about this car in specific, but I wouldn't be too worried as long as the temperature stays around the middle.

As the Doctor said "where does [the] temp STOP rising on hot day in slow traffic"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[attachmentid=599]Daily Update....
The temp settled at the normal operating temperature but after I took it out for a 10 mile ride on the freeway
I had a leak in the hose coming from the expansion tank to the radiator. It was spraying everywhere. I found the hose for $23.00 online, but the issue of excess pressure in the system still concerns me.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
As for the pressure, there should be a spring loaded vent in the coolant fill cap (not exactly a 'radiator cap' in this case). If you care to replace the cap, you would be certain that there isn't 'excessive' amounts of pressure in the system. I don't know what Volvos are rated at, but a typical cap used to hold in up to 15lbs of pressure before venting off to atomosphere.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
and in case you dont know, the reason for the 15psi is to elevate the boiling point so engine still OK > 100 deg C

BTW how do you KNOW there is high pressure

also an ex tank comes off pump suction [as yr hose piccy shows] so it only gets high press after fully warmed up [ie try gently unscrewing cap and normally little press at all till things get real hot]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Doc& Deadken
It was so ironic that I made this post out of concern a few days before this happened. Typically when you squeeze the upper hose there will be pressure in the system when the car is up to running temperature, but this hose seemed REALLY tight which made me question the circulation in the cooling system. Have you ever looked under the hood on one of your cars and said WOW that hose looks like it could bust
Thats how my upper radiator hose looked. I then changed the thermostat and refilled the system. So it wasnt a surprise to me when the hose coming from the expansion tank busted on me(though it was old). I am going to order the hose and see what happend after installation. Have you ever had to burp your system for air?

THANKS TO ALL..........

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 4 cylinders if you fill the bottle all the way to the top after emptyed then when you drive and the thermostat opens it will drop the level in the tank to exact normal.

I have never had to readd coolant doing it that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts