Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and i just wanted to say what's up to all you volvo lovers. I have recently purchased a 2005 s40 t5 with manual trans. It is expected to arrive in the dealership in about 2 weeks and I am very excited about the purchase. I am considering buying an after-market performance chip to increase hp and torque for the car. I was wanted to know your opinions are on making this move. My buddy who know everything about cars is against me getting it bc he thinks it will void my warranty by probably harming my engine. He also doubts the gains claimed b/c it seems to him like just the "usual generic universal ebay radio shack crap" part. Here is the performance chip I was considering:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33598

What are your thoughts on purchasing and installing this on the new s40 when it arrives? I agree there is a risk, but I think the risk is minimal and I could just toss the think if it doesn't work. For 60 bucks and min. installation costs, it might be the way to go for me, right?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just looking over the Horsepower gains...I think you can get the same results with a sport air filter. See if Tech agrees with that estimate. Check some sites online and compare air filter claims. Advantage is you get the 6+ Horsepower that you want and you get to keep your warranty.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I replyed in another forum.I would get more info from the company and make sure it would connect to the 05 S40 with out messing with the computer.
Yes that would be about as much gain as a performance filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't try this in your warranty period, A chip solution to increase power is a better and safer solution as this part has all the correct engin data to boost the performance without the risk of direct engin damage.

In europe the S40/V50 is available with a 140Hp engine as well as the S40i (170HP) ,the difference between the 2 engines is made by software !!

refer to www.mr-tuning.de

1 - 4 of 4 Posts