Volvo Owners Forum banner

Gasoline

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Auckland 
#1 ·
I have an '04 S60 2.5T and was curious about whether folks use 86 or 92/93 octane?? I've been using 86 since I bought the car and seems fine. Not even sure what the recommended octance is. Any thoughts.

#5 ·
Im only on my second tank of fuel and had the same question as to which octane I should be using. My car was filled up with 91 octane whrn I bought it

I asked the dealership where I purcahsed my car and they said to use the 87 octane because there would be no difference. He also said to cylcle the higher octane through every once in a while but if you do it too much, you would have to keep using the higher octane or it could start to ping.

With the second tank I used the 87 octane like the guy said and immediately noticed my MPG wasn't anywhere near what it was with the higher octane. I also noticed a slight decrease in power.

Im not 100% sure yet but I think Im going to use only midgrade (same as premium) gasoline in my car. I'll keep you posted.

I'de like to know whats been working for you though.

THNX

#6 ·
I only use 93 octane from Mobil or Exxon. Actually, now I only use Exxon. Mobils have changed to Luxoil around here. I cant remember ever seeing a Chevron around here (southeast PA). That sounds like a good brand.

I dont really even know why I wont try anything else. Creature of habit I guess. I had a modified GSX Eclipse before the Volvo, and never thought of useing a lesser octane. The dealer said that Volvo reccommends the middle grade octane, the dealer pushed for me to use the high grade.(which I would anyway)

#8 ·
I just have to add my two cents worth here. My owners handbook recommended 98 octane. Volvo says that it is the best fuel economy and performance wise. I agree. I use BP Ultimate 98 octane. It is expensive to buy-but at NZ$1.30 per litre-I get 7.9L per 100ks. If I use Cruise Control with passenger I get 8.21L per 100ks-when I drive down country.

I notice the performance both when starting (starts very easy and using the Turbo-megatons of power.)

Cheers

#9 ·
I've noticed in my 04 2.4 S60 that especially here in the Texas heat with the a/c on, I can hear a noticeable 'ping' that lasts for a second or two on heavy acecleration if I use anything lower then 93 octane gas. I've never heard the noise using the high octane stuff....and it might be in my head but I swear it's not as quick if I run regular. So, despite $2.99 a gallon prices (when i moved to TX 6 years ago it was $.85), I run the good stuff.

#10 ·
and it might be in my head but I swear it's not as quick if I run regular.

For what my two cents is worth: the original S80 2.0T I drove the lady owner didn't know what grade of petrol she used-just the cheapest. Worse still, I could not tell if it was turbo-charged either. The car's performance was bad. She never used the kick-down-she didn't know what it was or what it did!!

When I got my S80 and used the 98.4 octane BP Ultimate petrol-the performance spoke for itself. I knew it was turbo-my car turns into a V8 with very little effort.

Also, I notice that my oil stays a lot cleaner a lot longer now that I am using the 98.4 octane petrol. I definitely don't imagine that.

I think the expense is worth it in the long run. I notice that the car starts easier also.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.