Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 97 850 GLT with 120,000 miles. Well, I have been monitoring the gas mileage pretty closely these last few months and I have only been getting between 16-20 miles per gallon. I know that this is not what the car should be getting. Does anyone have any idea why I may be getting such horrible gas mileage??? I must find the answer to this problem or its time to get a new bike....any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
When is the last time it was tuned up?

Also I feel since the gas prices shot up the quality of gas dropped as well.
Im not getting as good of milage on my cars as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I normally get 29-31 MPG on my 850T on 87 octane fuel, and 31-32 MPG on 91 octane fuel when it's running properly. This is freeway driving on flat land at 60-65 MPH. YMMW, literally..

I was getting about 24-26 MPG when my O2 sensors were on the brink of setting on my CEL (they eventually threw some codes after 2-3K more miles). Once repaired, everything was back to normal. About 20K miles later, my idle was *slightly* rough, but not too obvious and it was my MAF meter going bad and my mileage dropped to 18 MPG!

Spark plugs, rotors, cap changed every 50K miles, and the wires changed at 100K miles. Air filter changed every 20K miles.

My last problem was with the vacuum elbow just below the power steering pump that had a crack it in it, but it didn't seem to affect my overall fuel economy, only threw a long term idle code (CEL).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi i have a 96 845 t5. with 126000. bsr ecu upgrade. i run mine on super unleaded the supermarket stuff. and get an average of 29.8. s i aint complaining. sounds like u have a prob with yours m8.

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE(The Doctor @ Sep 6 2005, 06:10 PM)has it had a chip tune thingo?

these claim like 20% more power so main change must be to richen fuel to air ratio and of course that increases fuel use [and increases polution]
[snapback]14851[/snapback]​

It advances the timing, and requires higer octane fuel to resist detonation. It really shouldn't affect freeway driving at all if the driver is focused on getting the best fuel economy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 850 non-turbo, according to the display unit is using 10.9 litres per 100km, which is about 2.5 US gallons for 60 miles, or 24mpg, and I would have thought it would be less thirsty than a turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts